none
Setup Project Automatic Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VB 2008 program that is installed with a setup project. Once I get it up and running totally, it'll be installed on about 22 machines. It will probably be updated frequently as I upgrade and add new features. I won't be able to go around to every machine and run the installer every time I update, and everyone has to be on the most recient version in order to make use of the new features.

I want to make the program check for an updated version on a shared network drive every time it's started, and automatically install the new version, silently if possible. I can't use ClickOnce because I have to be able to install additional files, registry entries, and control where on the system it goes (Program Files for instance).

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/142dbbz4.aspx windows installer can do automatic updates like ClickOnce, but I haven't found where it goes into detail on how to do it.

I've come across threads that say "Windows Installer is not Setup and Deployment", so I'm just wondering if it's possible to easily add the beautiful functionality of the ClickOnce auto update to my program that is installed using Setup and Deployment?

Also, is there anywhere I can suggest to the VS Devs blending Setup and Deployment and ClickOnce for the next SP?
    It would be wonderful to have the ease of ClickOnce (Push publish, the version number is automatically updated, people get the new vestion when they start the program up, and the hard work is done.) with the customization of Setup and Deploy ("Install to 'Program Files\My Project' for all users, put an icon on the desktop and in startup programs, add this registry key, etc.)
    Monday, September 8, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• Windows Installer can't do automatic updates like ClickOnce. Read the small print in note 1. You have to add it to the application with code.

Setup&Deployment projects build MSI files which are a fully-featured way of installing apps like Office, Visual Studio, .NET framework with a collection of features including patches, maintenance mode. policy deployment, intergration with APIs like MsiEnumProducts. ClickOnce is a per-user (primarily) web-based deployment mechanism that shares virtually none of its implementation and is just for .NET apps.

There are 3rd party companies that check for product updates, but it's a priced service.

Monday, September 8, 2008 11:50 PM

All replies

• Windows Installer can't do automatic updates like ClickOnce. Read the small print in note 1. You have to add it to the application with code.

Setup&Deployment projects build MSI files which are a fully-featured way of installing apps like Office, Visual Studio, .NET framework with a collection of features including patches, maintenance mode. policy deployment, intergration with APIs like MsiEnumProducts. ClickOnce is a per-user (primarily) web-based deployment mechanism that shares virtually none of its implementation and is just for .NET apps.

There are 3rd party companies that check for product updates, but it's a priced service.

Monday, September 8, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Ok, it's good to know not to keep looking for a way to do this in windows installer... It's to bad that the devs didn't think through it enough to include a wizard or at least a sample of code to do this.
    It just strikes me as silly to say "Yes" to automatic update, and then force people to either hunt around for code or buy some third party.

Now, this won't be deployed out to the public, and will in fact only be installed from the local network, which is a mapped drive on everyones computer, so as far as the program is concerned, it's being installed on the local machine from the local machine.

If there are any cheap third party ways to do this, then I might be able to sell it to the higher ups, but if it's like most third party development apps that cost a thousand bucks, then I'll be expected to make it happen myself, which means that I'll be hunting around for open source/free examples.

Anyone know of any inexpensive third party ways to do this, or even better, an example of a free way to do this? I don't mind doing my own development if there is good documentation so I can learn along the way.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:09 PM
  • I am exactly in the same situation than you. Had you any luck with your questions?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:16 PM
  • I am exactly in the same situation than you. Had you any luck with your questions?

I encountered the same problem, Anyone have got the solution?
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Nothing has changed in the past two years. There's no support in VS setup projects for automatic updates. There's no reason at all why your app can't so it. Connect to your web site  and pass your version, and if there is an update then download the new MSI file.
    Phil Wilson
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:34 PM