none
How do I get the prerequisits to install from my Setup.msi? RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2005 Profesional:
    I am using Windows Installer to create a Setup.msi.
    I want users to be able to download a 30 day free trial of my Windows app from my website.
    The download worked fine on my development computer.
    When I tried it from a friend's computer, 
    with  my download button linked to my Setup.msi file, it tried to get the prerequisits from Microsoft.  This is way too complicated.  I want it to be as simple as possible.
    In my Setup properties,
    I specified "download prerequisites from the same location as my application"!
    I entered my website in the installation URL.
    Why did it go to Microsoft instead of downloading it from my website?
    With my download button linked to my Setup.exe file, I got:
    Prerequisite check for system component SQL Server 2005 Express Edition failed with the following error message:
    "Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later is required to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition."
    Does this mean that users running an older Windows version would not be able to run my app?
    Can I have them download Windows XP Service Pack 2 from my website?
    I have 3 prerequisites: SqlExpress, dotnetfx and WindowsInstaller3_1.
    How do I get the prerequisits to  install from my Setup.msi?
    I see subdirectories for those 3 prerequists in my Setup1\Release folder and on my website.
    I also want to also be able to deploy my app via a CD-ROM for computers without internet access. 

Sunday, February 25, 2007 10:49 PM

All replies

•  

- You can deploy your app via CD-ROM if you choose "Download prerequisites from same location as my application" in prerequisites dialog. This would copy respective setups of prerequisites at same location as your setup.msi [for me it creates in Setup1\Release folder of my project] {let me know if you need help choosing this option, i can walk you through}

Just copy contents of this folder (setups and folders of prerequisites) on the CD-ROM (on friends computer to test) and your setup should install on computers without internet access as well.

Does it go to microsoft.com if you try above solution?

- In your original post you mentioned that it goes to microsoft.com to download prequisites, does it go to microsoft.com for ALL the prerequisites?

hope that helps.

-Varun

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 12:19 AM
  • <html>
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:50 PM
  • You can't get the MSI to install your prerequisites - that's what the setup.exe bootstrapper is for. There are reasons for this, such as how to update the MSI engine while it's already running your install.

My inclination is to believe the message, so yes, SQL 2005 Express requires XPSP2. I think support for earlier OS versions is provided by MSDE.

I believe it's unusual for 3rd parties to be allowed to redistribute service packs (unless you're an OEM or something) but why bother hosting that SP2 when Microsoft already does that?

The setup&deployment project will build a CD image with setup.exe and the prerequisites as long as you build a setup.exe bootstrapper and tell it to get the prerequisites from the same locatuion as your app.

I'd guess that you told the bootstrapper to get the prequisites from "the same location...". This isn't the same as telling your MSI where to get the framework - that's in the InstallUrl property of the LaunchCondition for the framework.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:21 PM
  • I am facing the same issue, even after selecting the option installer goes to Microsoft site to look for prerequisite, for my application prerequisite is only .Net frame work 2.0, please help.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:51 AM