Create View RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded SQL server 2008 R2 but it says "create view" is not supported.

Eventhough I downloaded express edition at the bottom it says "SQL Server Compact Edition"  Here are the details of my DB. What can I do now to make "create View" work?

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      10.50.1617.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      6.1.7600.16385
    Microsoft MSXML      3.0 4.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer      8.0.7600.16385
    Microsoft .NET Framework      2.0.50727.4963
    Operating System      6.1.7600

• Moved by Bob Beauchemin Sunday, October 23, 2011 1:33 PM Moving to a more relevent forum (From:.NET Framework inside SQL Server)
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 2:31 AM

Answers

• My guess is that Jujjuri installed Express edition, but in SSMS instead of logging into that Express Edition created a Compact Edition database and now work against that instead of working against the installed Exoress Edition instance.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    • Proposed as answer by SQLWork Monday, October 24, 2011 6:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:54 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:20 PM
  • It is certainly true that Compact Edition does not support views.  Since you installed SQL Server R2 Express I believe that Tibor probably has the right answer.   (It is not that hard a mistake to make.)

RLF

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi Jujjuri,

In addition, I add the download link of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Version.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In any kind of version of SQL Server is possible to create views. I don't ever work with the Compact Edition but is possible in that version you cannot create views.

Connect to your instance in Management Studio and try do run this command: SELECT @@Version

This command returns to you the version installed in your machine. If this version is Enterprise, Standard or even Express, you certantly could create views. But, if your SQL Server is a Compact Edition, I recommend you to install another version to work.

Regards

Erickson Ricci
    Microsoft MCP, MCTS SQL Server 2005, 2008
    Visite o meu blog: http://ericksonricci.wordpress.com
    Me siga no twitter: @EricksonRicci
    LinkedIN: http://br.linkedin.com/in/ericksonricci
    e-mail: ericksonfabricio@gmail.com
    **Ajude a melhorar o sistema de busca do fórum.Marque a(s) resposta(s) que foram úteis**
    **Se esta resposta solucionou a questão, então, por favor, marque-a como resposta.**
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:38 AM
  • My guess is that Jujjuri installed Express edition, but in SSMS instead of logging into that Express Edition created a Compact Edition database and now work against that instead of working against the installed Exoress Edition instance.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    • Proposed as answer by SQLWork Monday, October 24, 2011 6:14 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:20 PM
  • It is certainly true that Compact Edition does not support views.  Since you installed SQL Server R2 Express I believe that Tibor probably has the right answer.   (It is not that hard a mistake to make.)

RLF

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi Jujjuri,

In addition, I add the download link of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Version.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:56 AM