none
Windows Installer Tutorial RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All!

I'm new to the setup process on deploying a windows application with .net and VS Setup Propjects, I want to know if is  there any tutorial or tool to learn to or easily customize the setup process to build a Network shacer application...

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi OmegaMan, you right, that is a good article to start ussing the installer, but that I need is something deeper(or even simplest)... you'll see, I need to do this:

I have an application that is developed on a shared folder ( the "MyApp.exe" file on "MySharedFolder" ) so i need to build a setup to do this application accessible  from any other machine on the network.

So I was trying to do it through Visual Studio Setup Project's but i found that is almost impossible to create a simple setup to put  a shortcut on the desktop client's machine pointing to my "SharedFolder\MyApp.exe" file cause it just can be pointing to the client's "Aplicationfolder". then I'm looking for any other option to do this....

Also, I try to create the shortcut manually and when I doubleclick it I receive this error message:

Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

I found this article on how to solve:  http://www.idautomation.com/kb/label_software_from_server.html

And try a post on the MSDN Forum too about it: "In order to adjust the machine’s security policy to trust the entire network share you can use this:

caspol.exe -m -ag LocalIntranet_Zone -url \\<network host>\<share name>\ FullTrust -n FullTrustShare

But it doesn't work either. The exception persists.

Any help??
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:45 PM
  • These issues:

1. Why not do a ClickOnce setup? That way the only thing the user has to do is access a web service and it is always updated with the latest version. See Using ClickOnce to Deploy .NET Apps - Page 1 I use it currently with excellent results.
    2. Your use of caspol, you did not specify what to trust. Either specifiy all items individually or the whole directory with a *. Read up on it here Code Access Security Policy Tool (Caspol.exe)
    Friday, June 29, 2007 1:57 AM
  • Hi OmegaMan!,

Thanks for your help, I'll check this articles and let you know if they're my solution.

Monday, July 2, 2007 4:58 PM