none
APPCRASH msvcr100.dll 40000015 on newly-installed application RRS feed

• Question

• I am just finishing up a native C++ MFC application. I am working on VS 2010 Ultimate on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

I just built a setup and deployment project and installed it on a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit virtual machine. The install runs uneventfully. I get the subject crash on starting the program and before it "does anything."

I see a lot of conflicting advice on the Web. "Download our copy of msvcr100.dll here!" I didn't go there.

What should I do to resolve this? I would like a general solution that will work for anyone who installs the program, not a specific tweak for my test machine.

Thanks.

Charles
    • Edited by tsrCharles Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:57 AM

Answers

• You could try a C++ forum. I understand you originally believed the install was incorrect and that was the cause of the crash (a common belief) but it wasn't, and this isn't the best forum for asking about C++ crash behavior.

Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by tsrCharles Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:26 PM

All replies

• The problem also occurs on an associate's machine, so it is not particular to the one VM. I don't know at this moment if he is running a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 7.

I don't have another 64-bit version of Windows 7, so I have no idea whether at this moment whether the problem is unique to 32-bit Windows 7.

I just installed on (32-bit) Windows XP and got the same problem, so it's not something specific to Windows 7.

Charles
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:22 AM
  • Gee, guys, I'm kind of at a loss here.

The deployment project includes Microsoft_VC100_CRT_x86.msm and _MFC_x86, so I think the C runtime should be up-to-date on the target.

Exception code 0x40000015 is not in my Winnt.h file -- what does it mean?

Yes, it also fails on 64-bit Windows 7.

Charles
    • Edited by tsrCharles Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Managed to find it by adding lots of fprintf's. Basic stupid programmer trick.

Does anyone know how to actually glean a particle of useful information out of all of that crash display? Lots of information there, but nothing that anyone seems to know how to use at all. Everything on the Web is all "try this, try that, worked for me, didn't work for me."

I am not sure exactly what the failure was -- I fixed it at a higher level in the call chain than where it must have been blowing up -- but I *think* perhaps I was calling fopen with a null ("") file name. Gee, isn't that something that ought to be fairly diagnosable other than with an obscure crash message and an undocumented exception code?

Charles
    • Proposed as answer by T. Mag Friday, June 3, 2016 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:42 PM
  • You could try a C++ forum. I understand you originally believed the install was incorrect and that was the cause of the crash (a common belief) but it wasn't, and this isn't the best forum for asking about C++ crash behavior.

Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by tsrCharles Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Yeah, @PhilWilson, you're right. Actually, I think it's not even really a C++ question but rather a Windows question. Not sure -- somewhere at the intersection between the two. Not an installer question for sure.

I was probably more venting than really asking a question with that last post.

Take care. I'll give you credit for an answer. At least you were kind enough to respond.

Charles
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:48 PM