none
Setup Project - Install Even If Existing Install of the same version exists. RRS feed

• Question

• Well yet again I get myself too deep into a project to tell my boss "I dunno". Anyway I am trying to create a setup project that will run no matter if the current version is already installed or not.

This is basically for my presetup and the error is kinda annoying and my boss really doesn't want it. The only thing the installer does is create some icons and registry entries.

PLEASE HELP!

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 9:29 PM

Answers

• You are not able to do this unless you change the version number.  There is an option to RemovePreviousVersions on your setup project which will remove the earlier version on install.
    Monday, January 23, 2006 4:46 PM

All replies

• You are not able to do this unless you change the version number.  There is an option to RemovePreviousVersions on your setup project which will remove the earlier version on install.
    Monday, January 23, 2006 4:46 PM
  • Hi Jon,

If you find out the way, please let me know. Even i am trying to do this.

Regards,

Dev

Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:19 AM
  • Hi Jon,

Is there is any application you are launching after the installation is done. If yes, then execute msiexec /quite /x <PRODUCTCODE> at the end of source code in the application. This <PRODUCTCODE> shud be same as the productcode of ur installer.

If u are not launching any application, add Installer.cs in your project and override commit method. And in that method do the same. And add this in Commit Custom Action.

Hope your problem will be solved.

Regards,

Dev

Friday, May 2, 2008 1:33 PM
  • I have similar problem
    Im using VS2005 and im trying to create setup project for my COM dll.
    And this thing with uninstalling previous version is really annoying.
    Were ca i find this RemovePreviousVerisons property?
    Thanks.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Monday, December 22, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Its really very stupid thing.
    The problem is misleading dialogs in VS.
    In my case i was trying to see properties of setup project.So , naturally, i hit right click on solution and last menu item is Properties. When i choose Properties from right click menu it opens solution properties dialog that does not have any useful info .
    In order to enter correct dialog you need to go View->Other Windows->Properties Window. And then you have Propeties Window dialog with information you need.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:38 AM