none
Click Once Installation folder different from Update Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there people,

I am with an issue that can't solve... I am trying to make Installation Folder and Update Folder be separate folders in my server... The point is that I use third part DLLs in my project and I don't want to publish every update of my EXE file with all this... With DLLs the publish is like 70Mb, without my publish is like 15Mb.

I tried to publish a full installation to Install folder, with all DLLs with Include in publish status... then tried to publish to Update Folder setting all DLLs to "exclude" in Application Files... So I would have a Full installation, and only my EXE in Update folder...

But when I try to install from Setup.exe that is in my Installation Folder, it gives me an error saying that could not find some of the DLLs...

How can I solve it? what is the point of have Update Folder and Installation Folder in Click Once options if it does not install from Installation folder?

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:37 PM

All replies

• Nobody to help with this question??

How make ClickOnce Install only from Install Folder and then try to verify Updates?

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hi Cristopher ,

Sorry for my late response.

You can add a group to achieve your issue, please check this article:

How to: Specify Which Files Are Published by ClickOnce: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kzy0fky2(v=vs.110).aspx

In some cases, you may not want or need to publish certain files, or you may want to install certain files based on conditions. Visual Studio provides the capabilities to exclude files, mark files as data files or prerequisites, and create groups of files for conditional installation.

As for the updates, please refer to this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404267.aspx

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Hi Barry,

I read this two articles... the first one about how specify which files are published I already know... but yet doesn't help at all... I will tell why... If I make my Install publish, with all files marked as "Include", they go with the application and this is fine... but I want in my Update publish, doesn't even upload unnecessary files, so my upload will have only 15mb...

The second article explains very well my Issue... but doesn't helps at all with the solution... look at this part:
    "...If you use Visual Studio to compile your application, it will generate new hash signatures for all files whenever you rebuild the entire project. In this case, all assemblies will be downloaded to the client, although only a few assemblies may have changed...."

This is my problem... I use Visual Studio to build and publish my application... I don't want to use Click Once Deployment API, I don't want to have headaches with this... I want to publish the installation of my application with all needed files... and then have a lower Update publish... Today, I am publishing the entire application every time, and because I use Visual Studio, as the Second Article says, the entire application is downloaded every time by my user, because it changes the Hash signatures...

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Up on this post... I really need an answer... somebody?
    Monday, August 5, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Yes the hash will be changed, but you can try to re-sign the manifest after changing deployed files.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d07ecf9f-1aea-48c1-ad17-edb7fc95ada6/publish-a-single-file

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:57 PM
  • So, the answer to my question is NO... look, I was specific in my question... Why does we have in Publish Options the Publish Folder, Installation Folder and Update Folder??? For what I know the Publish folder is where you want the files to be published... the Installation Folder is the URL that the user will access to install the application (so you can publish to a mapped folder in one server like "z:\..." and let installation folder accessible from the website) right! ... and finally the Update Folder is where the application will look for updates... so why I just can't publish an Update with only the modified files and the Application first install and then Update???

I tried to generate this publish without DLL's after the application is installed on one computer... the update works very fine... my problem is the Installation... that I don't know why Click Once goes download from Update Folder...

Back to my post... C.Hong, pay attention please... in the answer I gave Barry, I told him that I just want to Publish... without headaches because of it... if I have to publish to my local machine, then resign, then copy through FTP to my website... the Answer to my entire question is "NO", I can't easily publish the installation then publish a simple Update because this last part in Click Once is dumb...

Please someone help with an answer to my principal question...
    " What is the point of have Update Folder and Installation Folder in Click Once options if it does not install from Installation folder? "

So... how to make Click Once Publishing works?? The way Click Once does now, in my tests... the Update Folder in Publish options is there just for fun....

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Just for complement... the Minimum version is in Click Once Options just for fun too... I tried to Publish an Installation with no minimum version... then publish another update with all files with no minimum version... then tried to publish another update with only the Exe file WITH minimum version set to the version of the entire application update publish... I had the same error when tried to install... The click Once installation try to search on the last Update published... that have files missing...
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:36 PM