none
The CVE-2019-1402 updates (KB4484119, etc.) break Access 2010/2013/2016/365: Query '' is corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• This has already been reported for Access 2010, but I can confirm that this issue also exists for Access 2013, 2016 and Office 365.

Here's a full repro:

1. Create a new Access database.
    2. Create a new, empty table "Table1" with the default ID field and a Long Integer field "myint".
    3. Execute the following code in the VBA editor's Immediate Window:

CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE Table1 SET myint = 1 WHERE myint = 1"

Expected result: The statement successfully finishes.

Actual result with one of the CVE-2019-1402 patches installed: Run-time error 3340 occurs ("Query '' is corrupt").

This is bad... can someone forward this to the developers?

Best regards
    Heinzi

PS: We wrote a small batch script to get rid of the problematic updates, you can find it on the related StackOverflow question.

• Edited by Heinzi.at Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:59 AM

All replies

• Seems Office 2019 not affected. Trying now on update 2013.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Seems Office 2019 not affected.

That's surprising, since Office 365 is affected: I was able to repro the issue by upgrading to Build 12228.20120 (Monthly Targeted).

I only tested 32-Bit versions though. Which bitness and build number did you use for your Access 2019 test?

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:30 AM
  • My version Office 2019: 1910(Build 12130.20344). And it is showing I have latest update. Unless they already spotted and turned off?

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Hm... I have Office 2016 with the exact same build number here and the issue *can* be reproduced. Do you use the 32 or the 64 bit version of Office?
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hm... I have Office 2016 with the exact same build number here and the issue *can* be reproduced. Do you use the 32 or the 64 bit version of Office?
    32-bits.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Me pasa lo mismo, tengo office 365 MSO (32 BITS). Por favor que reparen la actualización.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Can confirm Office 2013 32-bit has same issue! F*******
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Can confirm Office 2007 32-bit ALSO has same issue!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:02 AM
  • This is bad... can someone forward this to the developers?

Done - though I cannot replicate the issue using Access 365 Danish.

Gustav Brock

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Uninstalled update KB4484113 for my Access 2016, and the problem was resolved.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:55 AM
  • This is not a Windows update problem, but a problem that was introduced with the November Patch Tuesday Office release.  A change to fix a security vulnerability causes some legitimate queries to be reported as corrupt.
    Because the change was a security fix, it impacts ALL builds of Office, including 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and O365.
    The bug has been fixed in all channels, but the timing of delivery will depend on what channel you are on.
    For 2010, 2013, and 2016 MSI, and 2019 Volume License  builds, and the O365 Semi-annual channel, the fix will be in the December Patch Tuesday build, Dec 10.
    For O365, Monthly Channel, and Insiders, this will be fixed when the October fork is released, currently planned for Nov 24.
    For the Semi-Annual channel, the bug was introduced in 11328.20468, which was released Nov 12, but doesn’t roll out to everyone all at once.
    If you can, you might want to hold off on updating until Dec 10.
    The issue occurs for update queries against a single table with a criteria specified (so other types of queries shouldn’t be impacted, nor any query that updates all rows of a table, nor a query that updates the result set of another query).
    Given that, the simplest workaround in most cases is to change the update query to update another query that selects everything from the table, rather than updating the query directly.
    I.e., if you have a query like:    
    UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Field1 = "x" WHERE ([Table1].[Field2]=1);
    Then, create a new query (Query1) defined as:
    Select * from Table1;
    and update your original query to:   
    UPDATE Query1 SET Query1.Field1 = "x" WHERE ([Query1].[Field2]=1);

The page "Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Access":

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Access-54962069-14f4-4474-823a-ff7e5974a570

will be updated to reflect this.

Gustav Brock

• Proposed as answer by PapaKoop Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hebrew versions of Access for Office 365 Access 2019 Access 2016 Access 2013 (32bit)  affected.
    Hebrew 2007
    (32bit) version not affected.
    Example for not working command:
    db.Execute "UPDATE TableName_tmp SET ymn_teur =""" & sb & """ WHERE " & s

• Edited by Leon P Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:01 PM
  • This is not a Windows update problem, but a problem that was introduced with the November Patch Tuesday Office release.  A change to fix a security vulnerability causes some legitimate queries to be reported as corrupt.
    Because the change was a security fix, it impacts ALL builds of Office, including 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and O365.
    The bug has been fixed in all channels, but the timing of delivery will depend on what channel you are on.
    For 2010, 2013, and 2016 MSI, and 2019 Volume License  builds, and the O365 Semi-annual channel, the fix will be in the December Patch Tuesday build, Dec 10.
    For O365, Monthly Channel, and Insiders, this will be fixed when the October fork is released, currently planned for Nov 24.
    For the Semi-Annual channel, the bug was introduced in 11328.20468, which was released Nov 12, but doesn’t roll out to everyone all at once.
    The issue occurs for update queries against a single table with a criteria specified (so other types of queries shouldn’t be impacted, nor any query that updates all rows of a table, nor a query that updates the result set of another query).
    Given that, the simplest workaround in most cases is to change the update query to update another query that selects everything from the table, rather than updating the query directly.
    I.e., if you have a query like:    
    Then, create a new query (Query1) defined as:
    Select * from Table1;
    and update your original query to:   

The page "Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Access":

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Access-54962069-14f4-4474-823a-ff7e5974a570

will be updated to reflect this.

Gustav Brock

Thanks for info share! Still the best workaround is to remove update from Windows. Everything else too much pain and too much time needed :(.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:03 PM
  • For 2010, 2013, and 2016 MSI, and 2019 Volume License  builds, and the O365 Semi-annual channel, the fix will be in the December Patch Tuesday build, Dec 10.

Thanks a lot for getting this fixed and for posting the quick reply!

Unfortunately, one month is quite a long time for a bug that breaks (almost) every single Access-Runtime based application out in the wild. Is there any chance that MS will consider an out-of-band hotfix for that?

Best regards
    Heinzi

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:32 PM
  • I agree, in a distributed application it does not make sense to rewrite numerous perfectly valid SQL queries to address a bug introduced in a patch, especially if it is already fixed for release in the next update.  Thanks for the reply though Gustav, much appreciated.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:33 PM
  • I agree, in a distributed application it does not make sense to rewrite numerous perfectly valid SQL queries to address a bug introduced in a patch, especially if it is already fixed for release in the next update.  Thanks for the reply though Gustav, much appreciated.

Yeah, also they could delay update to not break other applications. But seems none care. Now costumer service is hottest place in the world.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:39 PM
  •  Is there any chance that MS will consider an out-of-band hotfix for that?

Can't tell for sure, but it is extremely unlikely.

Gustav Brock

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:32 PM
  • That's a shame, we have several large Access applications in production use across a number of clients. Amending many hundreds of queries in each of those production applications is not a feasible workaround to this issue.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:25 PM
  • Same here. We have notice the users having a problem are on 12130.20344, which started pushing in our environment last night.

Now we're just trying to find a relatively simple way to rollback that Office 365 update on each user's device.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:21 PM
  • Microsoft is aware of the issue, refer to https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-error-query-is-corrupt-fad205a5-9fd4-49f1-be83-f21636caedec

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Having to wait 11 days is unacceptable.

We have hundreds of code-based UPDATE statements throughout our platforms that would be totally unreasonable to modify in any reasonable timeframe. Our entire ERP is currently built using Access Forms and Reports, with M$ SQL back-end.

Seems more like a ploy from M$ to stop users from implementing Access...

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Same here. We have notice the users having a problem are on 12130.20344, which started pushing in our environment last night.

Now we're just trying to find a relatively simple way to rollback that Office 365 update on each user's device.

This worked for us:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12130.20272

(The problem was introduced in Build 12130.20344, so we reverted to the latest release before that.)

• Edited by Heinzi.at Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:36 PM
    • Proposed as answer by baldingone Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:33 PM
  • 11 days is good with Microsoft today, we've been waiting over a year and a half for a fix the to unrecognized database format error!

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:36 PM
  • You may also find https://borncity.com/win/2019/11/13/office-november-2019-updates-are-causing-access-error-3340/ useful.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Yeah, we just testing doing a reinstall on one of our users to an older version, and that cleared the issue. Our sys admin has already plugged the changes into the updates server.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:39 PM
  • I've had this issue with over a dozen clients today. From what I've read it is directly related to the installation of Security Update for Microsoft Office 20XX KB44841XX 32-bit Edition.

Uninstalling the update corrected the issue in every case.  The update to be uninstalled depends on the version of Access that is installed:

Access 2010 - Uninstall update KB4484127
    Access 2013 - Uninstall update KB4484119
    Access 2016 - Uninstall update KB4484113

To uninstall the update: >Start >Settings >Update and Security >View Update History >Uninstall Updates

Locate and uninstall the (KB44841xx) update.

I sincerely hope MS addresses this promptly if they haven't already.  The last thing I want is for my clients to wake up tomorrow and find that the update re-installed itself and need to call me again.  MS please take care of this!

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Thank you for the simple fix.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:24 PM
  • For those of you Uninstalling the KBs, please remember to change system settings so that Office updates are not installed automatically BEFORE you uninstall the KB.

If the automatic update is still on, then even while you are uninstalling the KB, the system is downloading it once again, and is now listed as a Pending Update.  Depending on the version of Windows, you may or may not be able to remove the update from the Pending list.

This might all be obvious to you, but it only occurred to me after I had worked with three dozen clients.  We will be working with many of the same clients again tomorrow, and we have yet to take care of all affected clients today.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:11 PM
  • I'm not comfortable with changing my client's auto-update settings and it's disappointing to find out I may very well be talking with them again tomorrow for the same (ridiculous) reason. 

During a lull in my support calls today, I ran all the Windows updates on my PC to try to reproduce the issue but none of KBs I mentioned above were installed.  I then manually downloaded and installed KB4484127 (I have Access 2010 and 2013) and lo and behold, I got the Query '' is corrupt error when trying to open my application.  I then uninstalled the KB and everything was fine.

I then ran the Windows updates on another machine in our office and the KB was not installed on that machine either.

So why does Windows update install the KB that's at issue (KB4484127, KB4484119, or KB4484113 depending on the Access version) on some of my clients' PC's and not on others?

This issue must be plaguing hundreds of thousands of applications - MS are you there? Are you listening?

Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:15 AM
  • yeaahhh - it's so great - here we go again!

I have the same problem now with  - i suppose KB4524570

"Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Internet Explorer, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Edge, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Cryptography, Windows Virtualization, Windows Linux, Windows Kernel, Windows Datacenter Networking, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine. "

Feedback: i uninstalled it, but nothing changed: unfortunately it still doesn't work

Solution found at:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-error-query-is-corrupt-fad205a5-9fd4-49f1-be83-f21636caedec

• Edited by R. Fritsche Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:43 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Temporary fix, remove there KB:

Office 2007/2010 – KB4484127
    Office 2013 – KB4484119
    Office 2016 – KB4484113

If you have Office 2016/2019 ClickToRun then open cmd:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.xxxxx.yyyyy

If you have Office 2013 ClickToRun open cmd:

Windows 32-bit: 
    cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX86

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=15.0.xxxx.yyyy

Windows 64-bit: 
    cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=15.0.xxxx.yyyy

Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:29 PM
  • first we try 

You can create a new query (Query1) defined as:

SELECT * from Table1;

And update your original query to:

'------------ 

we success in above coding but that not possible for all tables so we did Microsoft office uninstall then install again  , problem was solve , but now we will try to uninstall   KB4484127 in windows update  

Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:17 PM
  • Me too! I already tried everything and my solution was to uninstall the bad updates and then stop the automatic installations directly from the service control to prevent these updates from being installed again and again.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:58 PM
  • I had the same problem!  I already tried everything and my solution was to uninstall the bad updates and then stop the automatic installations directly from the service control to prevent these updates from being installed again and again.

Go to Services an then search Windows Update, Right clik to go to properties an then stop the service.

• Edited by Albert801 Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:02 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:00 PM
  • I had the same problem!  I already tried everything and my solution was to uninstall the bad updates and then stop the automatic installations directly from the service control to prevent these updates from being installed again and again.

Go to Services an then search Windows Update, Right clik to go to properties an then stop the service.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Gustav, I'm not sure if you work for Microsoft..., but as many have responded, to HAVE to rewrite possibly thousands of queries, not to mention trying to figure out WHICH ones are affected...., is NOT feasible!!  Microsoft caused this problem, and Microsoft should IMMEDIATELY fix it.  To have to receive calls, texts, and emails from all of my clients who are now down because if this patch is absolutely ridiculous!  And I'm sure that there are many other developers out there who agree with me.  I'm not so upset that this happened.  I am upset at Microsoft's reaction to a problem that they clearly caused!  Many of my clients have to pay someone..., to remove this patch from servers and desktops.  Microsoft can do better than this.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Relax, please. I'm just a humble MVP.

Gustav Brock

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:44 PM
  • Gustav and others,

If, as an MVP, your voice is loud enough to reach the powers that be, please let them know that their suggested fix (re-writing queries) is absurd, and that we need a real fix sooner than December.

I, too, have been on the phone with clients all morning. I'm getting tired of apologizing for someone else's mistake!

-Graham

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:18 PM
  • Use the following module to automatically implement Microsofts suggested workaround (using a query instead of a table). As a precaution, backup your database first.

Use AddWorkaroundForCorruptedQueryIssue() to add the workaround and RemoveWorkaroundForCorruptedQueryIssue() to remove it at any time.

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private Const WorkaroundTableSuffix As String = "_Table"

Public Sub AddWorkaroundForCorruptedQueryIssue()
        On Error Resume Next

With CurrentDb
            Dim tableDef As tableDef
            For Each tableDef In .tableDefs
                Dim isSystemTable As Boolean
                isSystemTable = tableDef.Attributes And dbSystemObject

If Not EndsWith(tableDef.Name, WorkaroundTableSuffix) And Not isSystemTable Then
                    Dim originalTableName As String
                    originalTableName = tableDef.Name

tableDef.Name = tableDef.Name & WorkaroundTableSuffix

Call .CreateQueryDef(originalTableName, "select * from [" & tableDef.Name & "]")

Debug.Print "OldTableName/NewQueryName" & vbTab & "[" & originalTableName & "]" & vbTab & _
                                "NewTableName" & vbTab & "[" & tableDef.Name & "]"
                End If
            Next
        End With
    End Sub

Public Sub RemoveWorkaroundForCorruptedQueryIssue()
        On Error Resume Next

With CurrentDb
            Dim tableDef As tableDef
            For Each tableDef In .tableDefs
                Dim isSystemTable As Boolean
                isSystemTable = tableDef.Attributes And dbSystemObject

If EndsWith(tableDef.Name, WorkaroundTableSuffix) And Not isSystemTable Then
                    Dim originalTableName As String
                    originalTableName = Left(tableDef.Name, Len(tableDef.Name) - Len(WorkaroundTableSuffix))

Dim workaroundTableName As String
                    workaroundTableName = tableDef.Name

Call .QueryDefs.Delete(originalTableName)
                    tableDef.Name = originalTableName

Debug.Print "OldTableName" & vbTab & "[" & workaroundTableName & "]" & vbTab & _
                                "NewTableName" & vbTab & "[" & tableDef.Name & "]" & vbTab & "(Query deleted)"
                End If
            Next
        End With
    End Sub

'From https://excelrevisited.blogspot.com/2012/06/endswith.html
    Private Function EndsWith(str As String, ending As String) As Boolean
         Dim endingLen As Integer
         endingLen = Len(ending)
         EndsWith = (Right(Trim(UCase(str)), endingLen) = UCase(ending))
    End Function

You can find the latest code on my GitHub repository:

github.com/lauxjpn/CurruptQueryAccessWorkaround

AddWorkaroundForCorruptedQueryIssue() will add the suffix "_Table" to all non-system tables, e.g. the table "IceCreams" would be renamed to "IceCreams_Table".

It will also create a new query with the original table name, that will select all columns of the renamed table. In our example, the query would be named "IceCreams" and would execute the SQL "select * from [IceCreams_Table]".

RemoveWorkaroundForCorruptedQueryIssue() does the reverse actions.

I tested this with all kinds of tables, including external non-MDB tables (like SQL Server). But be aware, that using a query instead of a table can lead to non-optimized statements being executed against a backend database in specific cases, especially if your original queries that used the tables are either of poor quality or very complex.

In my case I needed to manually rename [USysRibbons_Table] back to [USysRibbons], as I hadn't marked it as as system table when I created it in the past.

• Edited by LauXjpn Friday, November 15, 2019 10:17 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:06 PM
  • Doing an update on the query based on the table worked perfectly. That is the only thing that worked for me. Thanks.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:35 PM
  • I have never seen anything like this during many years of developing hundreds and hundreds of Access applications. Most if not all of them are affected by such a nasty problem. I suspect the quality assurance team missed testing the simple update query which is alarming to me. To save face, if I were Microsoft, I'd push the fix out within the next 10 minutes. 
    Friday, November 15, 2019 1:45 PM
  • Heads up, KB3085368 (Office 2016 released Nov 12th) also presents this bug, so be sure to uninstall it as well if it is present on your system!

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:27 PM
  • What a mess. We've had many reports of this problem from our customers around the world. This impacts not only Access 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and Office 365, but also applications that use the Access Database Engine (ACE) from programs like Visual Studio and VB6. It impacts both Windows and web solutions.

I published an article that describes the problems, causes, and solutions from uninstalling the Security Updates, fixing the offending queries, replacing them with recordset code, and deploying Access applications using Access 2007 which isn't affected. A download for the Access 2007 runtime is also available.

Microsoft Access Query is Corrupt Error 3340

Hope this helps.

Luke Chung
    Microsoft MVP
    President of FMS, Inc.
    Blog Facebook Twitter

• Edited by LukeChungMVP Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:58 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Luke 

Excellent article. Thanks
    Suggest you also include the easier method of removing the latest update from Office 365 C2R.

I successfully used this from Start...Run:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12231.20000

Another work-round suggested by David Marten at UA and which I don't believe has been mentioned above.

Change this:

UPDATE Table 1 SET Table1.Field1 = "x" WHERE ([Table1].[Field2]=1);

to this

UPDATE (SELECT * FROM Table 1) SET Table1.Field1 = "x" WHERE ([Table1].[Field2]=1);
    This creates a table alias '%$##@_Alias' and the query runs without error!

• Edited by ridders1952 Saturday, November 16, 2019 1:37 PM Extra info
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Thanks all that posted the fix for this!! :-)

But a special 'thanks to Microsoft' - that's an hour of my time at a weekend I will never get back :-(

Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:43 PM
  • I have been advised by the MVP's to raise a feedback post about this.

Can everyone up vote it please?   We need this fixed yesterday!!!!

Here is the link: https://aka.ms/AA6l4wq

Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:17 PM
  • I couldn't  agree more.

and even if they did "push the fix out within the next 10 minutes" I don't thing it will save face - and they know it as well, and that's why, sadly, it won't happen... 

i'm developing with ms access and sql server for over 14 years, and although at the winXP period it was common for KB to mess with you're code, a Hotfix was almost instant to these kind of issues. also that time is long gone...

I think we all should check about taking it to the next level. I'm already having conversations with my company legal department to check if class action lawsuit is possible in this case.

to me, the negligence part of not QA'ing the KB properly is beyond words. 

the amount of time me and my IT department put into this nonsense, especially in terms of weekend hours is sky rocketing.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 9:54 AM
  •  I'm already having conversations with my company legal department to check if class action lawsuit is possible in this case.

It would feel like an episode of Suits....you would need both Harvey & Mike.... :)

Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:17 AM
  • I have been advised by the MVP's to raise a feedback post about this.

Can everyone up vote it please?   We need this fixed yesterday!!!!

Here is the link: https://aka.ms/AA6l4wq

Tried it, and I get the error: "Your account doesn't have access to this feedback."

Alternatively, I found a Uservoice entry for this: https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/39020026-bug-fix-needed-for-ms-access-update-queries-with-w

(I mean, it's not like they *need* the feedback: They know about this issue, and their own MVPs are telling them publicly that the delay is "clearly unacceptable" (fmsinc) and "time to panic" (devhut).)

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:11 AM
  • There is an update which shows what KB need to uninstall to make it work ;)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-error-query-is-corrupt-fad205a5-9fd4-49f1-be83-f21636caedec

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Interesting comment on UserVoice :

Can you imagine the uproar if SQL Server broke and they said that they would fix it for a month!!!!!!!!

When i responded to some posts that Access is the black sheep in the Ms family and they would love to kick it out of the house i had some nice comments that "they love it"....... i don't see much love here...or concern...

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:11 AM
  • I have office 2019, I can't find update KB44681xx

Everything was fine on Friday 11/15/19.

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:34 PM
  • I don't know where you got KB44681xx from, but that not the problematic update.

Look for and uninstall any of the following, if present:

KB4484127
    KB4484119
    KB4484113
    KB3085368

If that still doesn't work, create your own thread detailing your problem.

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Just an FYI, Microsoft has just released the first patch for Access 2016 MSI

You can download the patch from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/44...-2016-kb4484198

*** This is a manual patch, so it will not automatically be installed by Windows Update and you must download and install it yourself! ***

As for the other versions/editions … patches should be coming soon.

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:13 PM
  • I have the problem.

I am using Windows 10 Pro, Build 17763.864.

I am using Windows 2016 Professional Plus, which includes Access 2016.

My latest update is11/12/2019 and was KB4523205.

I do not see this KB mentioned anywhere.

My current plan is to uninstall KB4523205 tonight.

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:24 PM
  • Where did you uninstall that update?  I am having a hard time locating MS Office updates to uninstall?
    Monday, November 18, 2019 9:39 PM
  • I have not uninstalled the KB yet, I plan to do that remotely tonight.

I found the KB number via the settings icon (the gear), then I click on the Updates & Security icon, then I clicked on the blue "View update history" line and then expanded the "Quality Updates", and chose the most recent one (which was "2019-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4523205)". 

The plan is to use "Uninstall update" in blue (on the left, the third line from the top, in blue, just below "View update history" and just above "Recovery options" on the same screen where I got the KB number.

Since this is the only update on 11/12/2019 and the one before that was 10/24/2019, I decided to chose it.

Doug

Monday, November 18, 2019 10:44 PM
  • Use the link I provided.

Monday, November 18, 2019 11:11 PM
  • Daniel,

I when to the link you provided, It talks about KB4484198.

My install never show KB4484198, but it does show KB4523205.

I find it difficult to uninstall something that is not installed.

Doug

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:07 AM
  • Daniel,

I when to the link you provided, It talks about KB4484198.

My install never show KB4484198, but it does show KB4523205.

I find it difficult to uninstall something that is not installed.

Doug

If you have Office 2016/2019 your version problably ClickToRun (in rare case it can be 2013) you wont find any updates in windows update section. Sadly microsoft does not released any help for those people who using Office ClickToRun. Because ClickToRun has own update system, and office updates not coming from Windows Update and they are not registering and you wont find any KB mention in their article.

What you need to do is manually down grade office version and also disable updates from Office Application:

To downgrade version, you need to launch CMD.EXE as Administrator and then add 2 lines:

[Office 2016/2019]

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12130.20272

Office [2013 with windows 32-bit]

cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX86 officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=15.0.5179.1000 

Office [2013 with windows 64-bit]

cd %programfiles%\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64 officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=15.0.5179.1000

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:42 AM
  • From what I have seen, if you have a more recent version of Access installed, the auto-update doesn't update the older version, so if they are using (say) an old Access 2010 runtime version to run their database but have more recently installed O365, then the old 2010 version is not updated automatically and it keeps running normally. Worth checking if you are trying find why it only affects some clients.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Either now or shortly, you can now download the update for O365 Monthly Channel/2016 C2R. 

Likewise, for the MSI installs and other versions, for example: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4484119/security-update-for-office-2013-november-12-2019 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4484198/november-18-2019-update-for-office-2016-kb4484198 

You should be able to receive them via Windows Update.

Gustav Brock

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Sorry to disagree with First Strike but on my development PC which has full versions of both Office 2010 & Office 365, both were affected by the corrupt query bug.

I may be wrong but I don't think Runtime versions are ever updated.

Anyway now that the fixes have started to roll out and the remaining fixes have been brought forward, hopefully we'll all be able to focus on something productive again very soon after a week of chaos

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:08 PM
  • Just to add to the chaos: after fixing 50+ affected Office 2010, 2013, and 2016 computers on November 13 by removing the relevant Windows update, the computer of the developer who reported the problem to me (a computer that had no problem back on November 13) turned up with a unique version of this problem on November 19. The version difference is that he is the only one having Access 2019 as part of Office 2019 Professional Plus, that is, Click-to-run. Everyone else had only Access 2010/2013/2016 or Access Runtime.

Specifically, he has Version 1808 (Build 10352.20042 Click-to-Run) that was apparently released November 12 along with the rest of this mess: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2019. I can only guess that my reboot the night of November 18 after an unrelated software update actually implemented this for him. In short, his station does not have the problem with the applications/queries that were failing on other stations on November 13, and other (now fixed) stations do not have the problem with the query that is now claiming to be corrupt on his computer.

But the workaround is the same: rename the linked table alias from [MyOriginalTableName] to [MyNewTableName], create a query named [MyOriginalTableName] as SELECT * FROM [MyRenamedTableName], and changing any DoCmd.OpenTable "[MyOriginalTableName]" to DoCmd.OpenQuery "MyNewQueryName".

That is not a good long-term solution, and I cannot be certain that this particular version is even on Microsoft's radar for a fix yet.

More details here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/7169ed11-94c8-4f26-9b14-75a35204509f/access-2019specific-corrupt-query-that-began-today-and-unrelated-to-last-weeks-event?forum=accessdev.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:27 PM
  • Well, at least now I see now that the fix for my particular broken build 10352.20042 is indeed listed here as part of the fix scheduled for December 10: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-error-query-is-corrupt-fad205a5-9fd4-49f1-be83-f21636caedec.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 12:54 PM
  • And now I have been able to revert to a working version this way:

1. Went to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2019 and noted that the November 12 version 1808 build 10352.20042 is my broken version.
    2. Noted the most recent prior version October 8, build 10351.20054
    3. Opened a command prompt as admin and ran this: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.10351.20054

Oddly enough, that did not take me back to the specific build 10351.20054 but to the June 11 build 10346.20002. I even tried updating again (that got me back to broken build 10352.20042) and re-running the command above. That just got me back to the June 11 build 10346.20002.

So, while I am not certain about why it skipped the four interim monthly builds and went back to the one from June, at least it works now, and I disabled automatic Office updates with the intentto run updates after the December 10 Tuesday patch that should have the fix

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Thank you for sharing.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:49 PM