none
[Setup Project] Installing assemblies to Subfolder RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

is it possible to put the installed assemblies in a Sub-Folder called 'bin' instead of the root-folder?

Thank you! :)
    • Moved by Andrew.Wu Monday, September 26, 2011 9:20 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi SeToY,

I'm going to help move this post to the ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects Forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Yes, it's possible. Simply create a new folder under Application Folder in your setup project.
    Cosmin Pirvu
    My blog | Contact me
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    • Marked as answer by SeToY Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:54 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:56 AM
  • @Andrew: Thanks for moving - and sorry for posting in the wrong Category!

@Cosmin: Thank you for your post, but I don't quite understand it... When I create a folder under my Application Folder and select "Primary Output" as the content, all files (including the .exe and the .exe.config) are being written into that folder... I want the config and the executable itself laying in my Application Folder, but the assemblies in a sub-folder.

...or am I missing something?

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Stop using Primary Output. If you know which files you need in what folders, just choose them as individual files.

Phil Wilson
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi SeToY,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

You can create a folder in the Application Folder. And than, you can create any types of files/folder/assemblies/outut Projects to the folder. Here is the screenshot:

Here are some related threads which talked such issues:

[Thread]Primary Output for Setup Project from obj/ not bin/:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpide/thread/bdbe4cf1-4013-4a92-b90b-1d891ebf8dbe/

[Thread]How to put output and dependencies in different folders:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winformssetup/thread/f09f76fe-9658-478b-8ca3-054bbe8f7709 

If you have any questions, please feel free to tell us.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hello Neddy,

Thank you for your post!

I do know which assemblies I need, but will the .NET Framework know that my application in C:\Program Files\MyApp\ needs the assemblies from C:\Program Files\MyApp\Libraries? Or will it search them in the Root-Folder of my app?

Thank you!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hello Neddy,

Thank you for your post!

I do know which assemblies I need, but will the .NET Framework know that my application in C:\Program Files\MyApp\ needs the assemblies from C:\Program Files\MyApp\Libraries? Or will it search them in the Root-Folder of my app?

Thank you!

Yeap, normally, your application will search the assemblies in the root folder, if the assemblies in another folder, such as a rubfolder, your application will not find them. Or you must point out them to your application.

On the other hand, some of the assemblies do not know in the application folder event though the dlls in the root folder. These dlls must be registered or installed into GAC. Such as the signed COMs.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Thank you! I got it working! :)

Regards

Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:55 AM