none
SQL Server 2008 Express Launch Condition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have made a setup project for my VS2010 application and have made a bootstrap to take care of requirements. As far as I can tell everything is okay. I would also like to make a launch condition checking if MS SQL Server 2008 Express is installed. I just want to make sure if some clicks on the msi file the installation is halted if all requirements are not installed.

Can someone explain to me how this is acomplished?

Thanks to all that reply.

Mike

Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just add it to the Prerequisites.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi Neddy,

Thanks for the reply, I actually have SQL Express as a Prereq in the project. So as long as the user clicks setup.exe and not app.msi the prereqs will be detected and installed. My problem is if someone clicks the MSI file, it would bypass the prereqs and install the program anyway, leaving the app installed but broken. Right now the MSI is set to not let the install go through if .net framework v4 is not on the system. I just wanted to know how to do the same thing for SQL Express 2008.

Mike

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    You can Add a Registry Launch Condition and check the registry to check if the key under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4awx1f1d(v=vs.100).aspx
    Some people use SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap Release\1033\CurrentVersion\Version to check if SQL Server 2008 is installed.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3257328/detecting-if-sql-server-2008-is-installed
    Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi Neddy,

Thanks for the reply, I actually have SQL Express as a Prereq in the project. So as long as the user clicks setup.exe and not app.msi the prereqs will be detected and installed. My problem is if someone clicks the MSI file, it would bypass the prereqs and install the program anyway, leaving the app installed but broken. Right now the MSI is set to not let the install go through if .net framework v4 is not on the system. I just wanted to know how to do the same thing for SQL Express 2008.
    Mike

As we all know, after compile the setup project, it will create two files, one is the *.exe and the other is the *.msi. If you start with the exe file, you will get the checkings with the prerequisites. But the *.msi file does not check it. This is by design.

Or you can create your own Custom Action and check it by yourself manually.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for the solution, I will test and report back if I have any issues.

Best,

Mike

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:58 AM
  • If you are having problems making this work...please review this thread.

Mike
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:53 PM
  • If you are having problems making this work...please review this thread.

Mike

Hi Mike,

This information is quite useful. Thank you for share it with us.

Have a nice day.

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:12 AM