offline installation - pathname length restriction? RRS feed

• Question

• I am aware of the 100-character limitation for pathnames in the Manifest for ClickOnce installations.  I am wondering whether the following problem is related or a different issue.

I have an offline ClickOnce application that fails to install if it is unpacked in a folder that is deep down the directory tree.  I get the same error that occurs if a file is missing in the deployment (which triggers an attempt to download the file from the Update URL).  "Cannot download the application.  The application is missing required files," with a 404 error appearing in the Details where the installer went looking for non-existent files at an Update URL that was empty.

Move the application up to the top of the directory tree, e.g. C:\temp, and everything installs fine.

Is this related to the depth of the directory tree within my application?  Or is there another explanation?  A workaround?

Thank you in advance...

Sunday, February 5, 2012 8:50 AM

Answers

• Usually we cannot trigger this path limitation problem, since our file names are not very long or the path in our application is not very long.

Please provide the log file: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/winformssetup/thread/32d84703-b11d-4b86-a149-c30c581b97db

And then use the dir command to list out your application file system directory struct, your can redirect to your project output to see the directory struct for your application:D:\Logs>dir /s >a.txt(this will list out all the files in D:\Logs directory).

Commonly we need to use the short name or some words prefix to describe the meanings we wanted, instead of use more long name, since we cannot ensure the end users System account name, if that name is a little long, then our application will be "dangerous".

--> Move the application up to the top of the directory tree, e.g. C:\temp, and everything installs fine.

The ClickOnce deployed application will be downloaded into the IE temp folder, and installed from there, do you mean you copied the files out of the IE temp? Then it seems not a path chars number limitation, you can change the temp folder for IE to check it. And what about the other application in your computer, I suggest you also test the cases in several computers to exclude the probable causes what you can think out.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, February 6, 2012 8:36 AM

All replies

• Usually we cannot trigger this path limitation problem, since our file names are not very long or the path in our application is not very long.

Please provide the log file: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/winformssetup/thread/32d84703-b11d-4b86-a149-c30c581b97db

And then use the dir command to list out your application file system directory struct, your can redirect to your project output to see the directory struct for your application:D:\Logs>dir /s >a.txt(this will list out all the files in D:\Logs directory).

Commonly we need to use the short name or some words prefix to describe the meanings we wanted, instead of use more long name, since we cannot ensure the end users System account name, if that name is a little long, then our application will be "dangerous".

--> Move the application up to the top of the directory tree, e.g. C:\temp, and everything installs fine.

The ClickOnce deployed application will be downloaded into the IE temp folder, and installed from there, do you mean you copied the files out of the IE temp? Then it seems not a path chars number limitation, you can change the temp folder for IE to check it. And what about the other application in your computer, I suggest you also test the cases in several computers to exclude the probable causes what you can think out.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, February 6, 2012 8:36 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:08 AM