none
All Click Once applications throw 'Application Cannot Be Started' with 'system cannot find file specified' error RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• The "AppData" folder is hidden at default.

Control Panel-> Folder Options->View:

Back up your registry first,

check if the "UsrClass.data" path is correct point to the file in your user directory.

This is the content get form my computer, and I checked the "UsrClass.data" path is correct, since it is in the folder in my computer:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist]

"\\Registry\\User\\<SID>_Classes"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume2\\Users\\<user name>\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\\UsrClass.dat"

If those way cannot let it work, then please try to share the log file with the verbose content: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/winformssetup/thread/32d84703-b11d-4b86-a149-c30c581b97db

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, February 6, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Thanks for the response, but I am not following. First, as stated in my original inquiry, I know where the AppData folder is and I know how to find hidden folders. The problem is that normally if an 'Apps' folder is not present, launching a ClickOnce app will automatically create one. This is not happening. We simply get the Application Can Not Be Started error.

Can you go into further detail as to what it is I should be checking/doing with UsrClass.data? I really want to get this resolved for the client.

Thanks much!

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:57 PM
  • --> launching a ClickOnce app will automatically create one. This is not happening.

Do you mean the App directory keeps not existing or created in your users Windows System? Since App directory is not only for the ClickOnce deployed application, it always be used by the others application and component in the System, if this App directory is keeping not existing or created, then I think it would be the user configuration has something wrong or broken which we cannot check out, I'm really not a System applying expert.

You asked me to descript something detail for the UsrClass.data, but it is only one mean, it is make you check the file path in the registry, there's no other things we can do. If the file path is correct, then it would be really a user configuration[broken] problem, if the problem is really like what you described, and I have not misunderstood you.

The way here, I can think out for you is create a new Windows account, use the new account, or consider to reinstall the System.

Since if the App directory really not there always, then it is not just a ClickOnce problem, so there's no need to keep the ClickOnce keyword in your question description(since it would confuse others who want read your question, affect the research direction ), I mean you can try the TechNet forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7itprogeneral/threads 

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:27 PM
  • To be clear, I am speaking of the 'Apps' folder, which is specifically for ClickOnce applications. I'll try locating the file path.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Oh, sorry for the mistake.

I will put the focus on this direction, and give you the information once I find something.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:33 AM
  • Then can you help me to ensure the directory under the others System account folders in the same system?

Can you find the related information form your registry under the current user like this?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\ClickOnce35SP1Update]
    "Action"="Purged CDF-MS Data"
    "AppData"="C:\\Users\\v-mzhan\\AppData\\Local"
    "Hits"="C:\\Users\\v-mzhan\\AppData\\Local\\Apps\\2.0\\1WXQM260.L11\\8TC5OGY3.AJM
    "

How about created the folder manually?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:00 AM
  • To confirm I understand, you want me to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\ClickOnce35SP1Update] and then give you the values of Action, AppData, and Hits, correct?

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:20 PM
  • I do not need you to show me what the values are in that system  are, I  just want you to ensure the Apps path is correct there for your system.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:18 AM
  • When I go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\ClickOnce35SP1Update she only has two items, (Default) and Action. Default is as usual (value not set) and Action is 'No cleanup required' There is no AppData or Hits.

At first I thought this was the issue, but when I loaded a Windows 7 Virtual Machine and went into the same path it gives me the same as hers and I have no problems with ClickOnce application.

The only difference between the two is that she does not have a 'SidebySide' folder under 'Deployment' where mine does. I deleted mine and relaunched my application and it automatically recreated the folder. Her computer is not doing this.

Where do we go from here?

Thanks!

• Edited by Justin121 Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:32 PM
  • I have no clue, but I'm trying to find if there's anything different and can become a clue.

We can see that it create the "SideBySide" tree node there,(I deleted the node as you described, and then try to start an installed application which Deployed by ClickOnce tech).

This proved your mind.

There're results, so we can know if the steps are succeed, so I think you can give this troubleshooting way a try.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:36 AM
  • I'm sorry but I'm not following. What should I try?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:32 PM
  • Try to find any registry/file system operation related to SidebySide\2.0 path informations when we do the steps as I said in my above post.

And you can save the log file(Logfile.PML) to share to us through "skydrive" if you also cannot find any clues by yourself, then we can have a try.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:57 AM
  • This clients computer is very odd and does not function the same as any computers we have used in our testing environment. I am able to delete the SideBySide or Deployment folders on our Win 7 PC's just fine, and upon clicking our application, it re-installs and recreates all of the folders and keys without issue. Upon doing the same on the client's PC, it doesn't recreate anything.

We have run into a case where the registry is clearly missing many things that ClickOnce needs. She didnt have a SideBySide folder to begin with.

My new question is whether or not there is any way to revert to a 'factory setting' registry key set that should be there in regard to ClickOnce. Is there a stock key we could import to her registry that could resolve these issues?

I find it hard to believe that something like this is not more common with ClickOnce.

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:38 PM
  • I think I should admit that I have no idea now, I also have not found any document form MSDN talked the ClickOnce registry/file system about this aspect.

I will try to consult others engineers if they can give us some opinions to help you.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Hi Justin121,

One senor engineer told me that you will need to repair that machine's .Net Framework.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Dave54321 Monday, January 7, 2013 10:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dave54321 Monday, January 7, 2013 10:21 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:14 AM