none
Changing ClickOnce settings... RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that in the original versions of ClickOnce, its settings did not have any upgrade (install newer version) settings set.  Now, I wish to have the application begin upgrading automatically.

Since the original version does not have any upgrade settings set, is there a way to modify the appref or is there a local copy of the manifest that can be modified to get the application to automatically upgrade next time it is launched from the start menu?

Thanks in advance.

Karl

Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am afraid you need to set "update" option and republish the app.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:19 AM
  • Thanks Kyle,

I'm wondering about changing an already existing manifest.

My original publish did not have the application updates checkbox checked.  I need to deploy the newest version of the application to many computers and being able to modify the settings of the original manifest (using an app like MAGE is simple) would be ideal.

Perhaps another part of my question would be, when a user clicks on the Start Menu shortcut (<application>.appref-ms), how does the shortcut know to look for an update or not?  

My original application will not update even though my newer versions the the update checkbox checked...  I want the old version to update.

Karl

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

After publishing an application, it seems that it's unable to set update option via manifest file. Here is the document may help you.

How to: Manage updates for a ClickOnce application

How to: Check for application updates programmatically using the ClickOnce deployment API

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 9:56 AM