none
PrintDialog settings of NOT default printer are not preserved RRS feed

• Question

• PrintDialog settings of not default printer are not preserved. If you select a printer different from the proposed Windows Default Printer, the default settings are not taken into account. I've experienced this behaviour with SSRS ReportViewer .net component, but also other applications developed with the framework suffer of this issue.

steps to help us reproduce your issue

In the PrintDialog form choose a printer that differs from Windows Default Printer. Paper settings are not taken from printer default settings. While if you set that printer as default (avoiding to choose another printer in printer selection) the settings are preserved.

• Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, November 21, 2016 3:47 PM Winforms related
    Friday, November 18, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi gipinani,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, it is maybe a setting in design. It is set by developer. If you have some change with it, maybe you could post in uservoice to give your suggestions.

The Visual C# Forum discuss and ask the programming language, IDE, libraries, samples and tools.

If you have grammar or error codes, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hi gipinani,

Could you please look into below articles. Hope these helps you.

PrintDialog in C#

How to: Choose the Printers Attached to a User's Computer in Windows Forms

How to get/set Default Printer in WPF (i.e. System.Printing namespace)

Choosing the Printers Attached to a User's Machine in Windows Forms

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, November 21, 2016 12:51 PM
  • PrintDialog settings of not default printer are not preserved. If you select a printer different from the proposed Windows Default Printer, the default settings are not taken into account. I've experienced this behaviour with SSRS ReportViewer .net component, but also other applications developed with the framework suffer of this issue.

The Print Dialog (like the OpenFile, SaveFile and Folder Browser) is part of Windows itself.

All the .NET Classes do is call the unmanaged Windows API functions under the hood.

Remember to mark helpfull answers as helpfull and close threads by marking answers.

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Thank you Christopher84 for your answer.

Seems that Microsoft Word, that for instance should not be developed with .net framework (at least.. I suppose), do not soffer of this problem. Print Dialog handles the settings in the right way. And also the printing dialog format is slightly different.. That's why I thought that C# PrintDialog was not just a part of windows itself, but rather a .net implementation.

Of course at the end it calls a windows API function.. but not handling in the right way the printer settings of not default printer.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:00 PM