locked
Live Streaming Randomly Does not Work on iOS RRS feed

  • Question

  • As of about two weeks ago, we've had users begin reporting that they cannot view our live streams on iOS devices and macOS safari. All other devices (Windows, Android) are fine, to my knowledge. This issue also appears to be entirely random. I am able to view the stream sometimes on iOS safari, and then refresh and the exact same stream fails to load. We usually have about 20 - 30 people watching a stream at a time.

    We do not use any encryption or DRM. It is set up almost exactly like the basic live stream on the amp demo site.

    I've tried the Azure Media Player (2.3.3, latest as of today), JW Player (using m3u8-aapl-v3), Bitmovin player (using m3u8-aapl-v3) and they all encounter the same issue. Any ideas on what is wrong?

    I connected an iPhone to a Mac, and pulled up the safari debugger. I got two errors MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED (most common) and MEDIA_ERR_DECODE (showed up once). In the cases where the media fails, the network tab shows that it never attempts to download any fragments.

    Azure Setup

    We use the multi-bitrate setup (not the pass-through) on a standard encoder without a CDN. This configuration hasn't change in about a year.


    • Edited by Oliver Spryn Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:48 PM No snapshots :(
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:43 PM

All replies

  • Thanks for asking question! More than likely the issue is with the live stream ingest. Suggest you to check the manifest for discontinuities (gaps in time) between fragments.  It’s probably easiest to see this in a Smooth Streaming manifest where you see multiple ‘t’ (time) values.  These often indicate a gap in the stream that is sent from the customer’s encoder.  There may be a configuration or networking issue between the encoder and the Media Services channel ingest.  You may try a lower bitrate to see if that helps.

    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:24 PM