none
How to type Alt codes (like ☺ ☻♦♣) in a textbox?

Question

• Hello,

How to type Alt codes (like ☺ ☻♦♣) in a textbox? I want to make a text editor for myself and i use it much but i hate that annoying square.

I hope you can help me.

I can't speek very good English, I am from Belgium. (that very little land in Europe xD)
    Monday, October 18, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• I dont mean that, i know how to type such characters, but if i type them in a textbox it just shows a square instead of the character i want to type.
    I can't speek very good English, I am from Belgium. (that very little land in Europe xD)

I believe this is affected by the OS. We encountered this problem with Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 should work fine. 

It's actually a font issue. Not all fonts contain glyphs for all characters. Try using a standard Windows font like Arial or Courier New, because they will be more complete.
    • Marked as answer by Evert7 Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:43 PM

All replies

• Evert,

Those codes are dependend from the used code system which you have, I'm not sure if you speak French but then your code system is probably 850, if it is Dutch it can be 437 or 850. 

Definitely is your main system 1252

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_850

But in fact it has nothing to do with this forum.

Success
    Cor
    Monday, October 18, 2010 4:38 PM
  • use this code in any event

To send Alt+0135, you can use

SendKeys.Send(new string(Encoding.Default.GetChars(new byte[] { 135 })));

and you can refer this link for the same

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZA/csharpgeneral/thread/83e20bb8-206b-4405-8ec9-df0396a2a660

Monday, October 18, 2010 5:17 PM
  • I dont mean that, i know how to type such characters, but if i type them in a textbox it just shows a square instead of the character i want to type.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:33 PM

I believe this is affected by the OS. We encountered this problem with Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 should work fine. 
    Monday, October 18, 2010 10:38 PM
  • i have w7
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:28 PM

It's actually a font issue. Not all fonts contain glyphs for all characters. Try using a standard Windows font like Arial or Courier New, because they will be more complete.
    • Marked as answer by Evert7 Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Thanks
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:49 PM