none
Class Project - Step into / Identify fault RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My DLL class project has been working great in development for a while now. IT worked when i finish development last night but today, it doesnt run. worst still, i dont get any errors popping up. I just click the button and nothing. There are no errors in the design error window

i added a few rudimentary message boxes in the form load & form new subs but still nothing.

Is there a way to step into a dll class project like you can with a standalone? I added a few stops but nothing happened

Thanks

I am here to ask questions and learn from others. Cor Ligthert DO NOT REPLY TO ANY OF MY POSTS!!

Monday, August 3, 2020 6:23 AM

All replies

• With the information provided, set breakpoints in code that are entry points to code that is called in the class project that are used in form load. See if one of the breakpoints are hit.

Try doing a clean/rebuild of the entire solution and rerun, anything change.

There is also rolling back your code in source control or at least doing a compare with prior versions of code.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Monday, August 3, 2020 10:24 AM
  • Hi NachoShaw,

In order to debug dll projects, you can refer to following document.

DLLs in Visual Studio

Besides, you can also provide more details or some related code about your dll project. It will help us analzye your problem.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 6, 2020 7:40 AM
  • Well, I would start by running my unit tests first to see whether some environmental changes affect it. Also are unit tests the best place for debugging.

Then I would look at system boundaries. Thus where does that library interact with externals. Do does externals still work? When you have integration test for this, run them.

Now I would look at the basic library loading code. Does it have proper tracing and logging? Is initialization the problem?

And finally add proper tracing and logging to the library.

btw, when debugging does not work according to your description, start by cleaning the solution. Then quit VS. Now remove manually any still existing compiled artefact (VS may hold locks on some). Restart VS. Load your solution. Ensure that you have selected a DEGBU built before newly building your library as well as the libraries host.

Thursday, August 6, 2020 8:32 AM