none
Who should use ClickOnce? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been testing the ClickOnce technology for weeks now, and I am continually asking myself the question: "In what way is ClickOnce designed to be used?"

Using VS 2005, or the Mage SDK tools requires the developer to know the application URL ahead of time. This is not feasible if you normally vend your software to a business or organization that will then distribute it to their workstations via their choice of web servers, file servers, etc. This would include schools, hospitals, and large corportations.

Is the purpose then to publish the software to your own web servers, for ASP model applications only? Is it designed to make Windows forms applications a replacement for pure web applications in an ASP model?

I find this technology to be very handy, but for what I am not 100% sure...

If anyone can clear this up, I would be very grateful.
    Sunday, December 4, 2005 10:03 PM

Answers

• Will try to take a dig at this ...

Will start of with what ClickOnce is NOT to get that out of the way -
    ClickOnce is NOT a one size fits all deployment solution 
    ClickOnce is NOT a replacement for MSI

ClickOnce is a natural fit as the deployment technology for isolated non impactful Winforms Application.
    (An isolated non-impactful App is basically an App that can just be unziped on to a folder on the local machien and run)

It is not intended to replace ASP model applications. It however does provide developers with an option to be able build Winforms Applications where their applications need the rich feature set of Client applications. Developers have in the past shyed away from the feature rich client app just for the lack of a simple Deployment/App lifecycle management framework and this is what ClickOnce remedies.

The VS 2005/Mage development model is intended to be used during development (deploying to local host for testing) and for internal interprise software where the deployment server is known a development time.
    For software that is distributed and republished, the deployment manifest (.application) needs to modified at deployment time with the right server and resigned (Mage SDK tool can be used for this in a script potentially)  

Look out for a white parer on MSDN on more details on how to do this soon.
    Monday, December 5, 2005 7:25 PM

All replies

• Will try to take a dig at this ...

Will start of with what ClickOnce is NOT to get that out of the way -
    ClickOnce is NOT a one size fits all deployment solution 
    ClickOnce is NOT a replacement for MSI

ClickOnce is a natural fit as the deployment technology for isolated non impactful Winforms Application.
    (An isolated non-impactful App is basically an App that can just be unziped on to a folder on the local machien and run)

It is not intended to replace ASP model applications. It however does provide developers with an option to be able build Winforms Applications where their applications need the rich feature set of Client applications. Developers have in the past shyed away from the feature rich client app just for the lack of a simple Deployment/App lifecycle management framework and this is what ClickOnce remedies.

The VS 2005/Mage development model is intended to be used during development (deploying to local host for testing) and for internal interprise software where the deployment server is known a development time.
    For software that is distributed and republished, the deployment manifest (.application) needs to modified at deployment time with the right server and resigned (Mage SDK tool can be used for this in a script potentially)  

Look out for a white parer on MSDN on more details on how to do this soon.
    Monday, December 5, 2005 7:25 PM
  • Thank you.

So long as the capability exists to republish the application at deployment time, this will work fine for our needs.

Monday, December 5, 2005 8:09 PM
  • Hi Saurabh,

We are having the same problem, we have developed a click once app which we need to distribute to client sites and are to parameterize the url for deployment.  This means that we have to get each client to change the url using mage and re-sign with their own key.

What we'd really like to do is run the setup.exe (previously compiled using our key inhouse) with a parameterized deployment url.

Is the white paper you mentioned available?

Thanks

Russ

Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:57 AM