none
UPGRADING CLIENT'S MACHINE WITH SETUP.msi RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to update my SetUp project which has been installed on a client’s machine. Unfortunately when I try to install the updated version it runs though the install sequence and confirms it has been installed successfully.

However the previous version remains and there is no record of the newer version in C:\Program Files. Although it is listed in ‘Program and Features’

My Setup settings:

UpgradeCode – Remains the same

Version – increased by 1

ProductCode  - Changed

RemovePreviousVersion - True

Rebiuld SetUp

Copy SetUp to CD from Project > SetUp. Release to install on clients machine.

What am I doing wrong?

Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi hemo,

Have you increased the AssemblyVersion and AssemblyFileVersion for all the updated assembly? Setup will only update the assembly whose version number has been updated. Only change the setup project's version number won't work.

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to tell me.

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    • Marked as answer by hemo Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi hemo,

Have you increased the AssemblyVersion and AssemblyFileVersion for all the updated assembly? Setup will only update the assembly whose version number has been updated. Only change the setup project's version number won't work.

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to tell me.

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian
    • Marked as answer by hemo Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:45 AM
  • Hello Kira

No, you haven’t misunderstood the problem. Your solution perfectly indentifies my error. The new version now correctly update the previous version and as planned not copying the database,  

One interesting point, although the application is listed in C:\ Program Files(x86) it don’t appear in ‘Start All Programs’

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

hemo

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Hi hemo,

I am glad I can solve the problem.

"although the application is listed in C:\ Program Files(x86) it don’t appear in ‘Start All Programs"

Did you install the application for "Everyone"? If you install it for "Just me", it only appear to your own "start menu" -> "All Programs".

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Hello Kira

Yes the application was installed for Everyone. I have installed the application on another with the same result. Normally there would be a indication in the Start > All Programs bar that a new program had been installed. Using ClickOnce setup the program is listed in all programs. Have I missed something in my SetUp.msi?

Regards

hemo

Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Hello hemo,

Did you create shortcut for your application? May be you have miss that.
    1. Select "User's Programs Menu" node in the File System window.
    2. Right click the blank area at the right side, choose "Create new shortcut".
    3. Point it to the Primary output in the "Application Folder".

That will create shortcut into the "All Programs".

Wish you good luck.

Sincerely,
    Kira Qian
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:59 AM