ClickOnce error occurs when upgrading installed ClickOnce app RRS feed

• Question

• I have a clickonce deployment package that will install fine, but after upgrading 2 or 3 times successfully, it will then fail to upgrade.  The package could be exactly the same and the only difference is the version number of the manifest files that are generated.

To generate the manifests, I use mage.exe.  Here is the error that I get (the error summary is bolded):

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.832
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   :
    http://localhost/NovaPACS2/deploy/PacsViewer/PacsViewer.application
          Server  : Microsoft-IIS/5.1
          X-Powered-By : ASP.NET

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : PacsViewer.app, Version=1.0.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=29c68577548d5d00, processorArchitecture=msil

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Online only application.
     * Trust url parameter is set.
    ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of
    http://localhost/NovaPACS2/deploy/PacsViewer/PacsViewer.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [12/20/2007 10:00:43 AM] : Activation of
    http://localhost/NovaPACS2/deploy/PacsViewer/PacsViewer.application has started.
     * [12/20/2007 10:00:43 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [12/20/2007 10:00:43 AM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
      - A device attached to the system is not functioning. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStateManager.Scavenge(UInt32 Flags, UInt32& Disposition)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SubmitStoreTransaction(StoreTransactionContext storeTxn, SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.SetPendingDeployment(SubscriptionState subState, DefinitionIdentity deployId, DateTime checkTime)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.SetLastCheckTimeToNow(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     * Transaction at [12/20/2007 10:00:43 AM]
      + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
       - HRESULT: 0x0
      + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
       - HRESULT: 0x0

The problem can be fixed by deleting the user's 'Apps' directory where the clickonce data is stored, but once we begin using this deployment method at customer's sites, this will not be an acceptable process.  I am wondering if anyone knows what may be causing this and how to fix it.  I would be happy to post sample manifest files.

I forgot to mention that the application is 'not-installed', so the user has to go to the url everytime to launch the app.

Thanks,

jared

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:06 PM

Answers

• Apparently, our application was creating folders that were read only in the data directory (error also occurs if the folders/files are created in the app directory of the click-once app and are set to read only).  The Click Once management process that manages upgrades was unable to delete these folders because they were programatically marked as read-only.

(If you look at any file/folder in the data/app directory for the click once app, they will all appear to be read-only, but I think it is just inheriting that from a parent folder.)

To fix this problem, we changed our app to stop marking folders as read only when creating them.

Also, to clarify, this issue occured everytime on the 2 upgrade of the app because that is the first time the Click-Once management process will attempt to delete one of the old installs of the app.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• Apparently, our application was creating folders that were read only in the data directory (error also occurs if the folders/files are created in the app directory of the click-once app and are set to read only).  The Click Once management process that manages upgrades was unable to delete these folders because they were programatically marked as read-only.

(If you look at any file/folder in the data/app directory for the click once app, they will all appear to be read-only, but I think it is just inheriting that from a parent folder.)

To fix this problem, we changed our app to stop marking folders as read only when creating them.

Also, to clarify, this issue occured everytime on the 2 upgrade of the app because that is the first time the Click-Once management process will attempt to delete one of the old installs of the app.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Hi J_3rd...

Do you remember how did you change the app to stop marking folders as RO? Was it though programming or options in click once?

Regards
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I know this is an old topic and marked as solved, but here is the only thing that solved it for me: running a cleanup on ClickOnce cache, run this in console:

"rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache"

Just in case anyone needs it.

Regards, Shai Petel.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:07 PM