none
Clickonce deployment works for months but now fails on HashValidation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows Forms, VB application built in VS2012, and using .Net Frameworks 4 Client Profile.
    It was built some years ago, and deployed successfully with ClickOnce.

It was last deployed to the customer's server in Nov 2018, and has been working fine until the last couple of weeks.
    However, it now fails to install, giving "Application validation did not succeed" error.
    The log shows the error "File, PanelHome.htm, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.".

To my knowledge, no changes were made to the files on the deployment server.
    I've tried re-publishing the application, but still get the same installation error.

The customer's certificate has not expired (but will expire soon).

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance
    M

Friday, August 23, 2019 12:23 PM

Answers

• Update - the deployment is now working.

The application contains 2 html files, which are no longer used. One of these "PanelHome.htm" - was reported in the clickonce error as having a different computed hash than specified in manifest.

I replaced the contents of PanelHome.htm with "<html></html>" (i.e. blanking out the contents) and rebuilt and republished.
    The 2nd html file was then causing the same error message, so I blanked that out too.
    Success! The deployment now works correctly.

The html files had some associated css files, one of which referred to a (now missing) image on the customer's own website.
    A mistake to rely on external files I suppose.

So in conclusion, I believe the problem must have been related to missing files referred to by the html pages in my application.
    For some reason, I was able to publish the build to my test server last night, without any such problems.
    Thanks for taking the time to read. If anyone can confirm/rule out my conclusion, I'd be interested.

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:24 PM

All replies

• Update - the deployment is now working.

The application contains 2 html files, which are no longer used. One of these "PanelHome.htm" - was reported in the clickonce error as having a different computed hash than specified in manifest.

I replaced the contents of PanelHome.htm with "<html></html>" (i.e. blanking out the contents) and rebuilt and republished.
    The 2nd html file was then causing the same error message, so I blanked that out too.
    Success! The deployment now works correctly.

The html files had some associated css files, one of which referred to a (now missing) image on the customer's own website.
    A mistake to rely on external files I suppose.

So in conclusion, I believe the problem must have been related to missing files referred to by the html pages in my application.
    For some reason, I was able to publish the build to my test server last night, without any such problems.
    Thanks for taking the time to read. If anyone can confirm/rule out my conclusion, I'd be interested.

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Hi mmcd2019,

I am glad you have got your solution. We appreciated you shared us your solution. And we also hope you can mark it as an answer. By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:45 AM