none
retain blue background on listview selected item when focus leaves listview RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I select an item in a listview, the selected item's background turns blue.

When I click on a button on the same form, the background color becomes white, as it was before it was selected.

Is there a way to retain that blue background color so that when I click on another control on the same form, that dark blue background will persist, so the user knows that is still the selected item?

Here is what I have so far; This does persist Color.Navy to each of the selected items but the font turns from white to Navy as well, so I can't see the font (ie listitem text) anymore, it's one dark line.

Public Sub OnSelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles  ListView1.SelectedIndexChanged

If Not m_blnInChange Then

m_blnInChange = True

OnSelectedIndexChanged(Me, e)

Dim i As ListViewItem

For Each i In Me.ListView1.Items

i.BackColor = Color.White

Next

For Each i In Me.ListView1.SelectedItems

i.BackColor = Color.Navy

'Put some code in here to store the items that are selected

Next

m_blnInChange = False

End If

End Sub

Thank you,

Greg

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

The ListView class has provided a property "HideSelection", which gets or sets a value indicating whether the selected item in the control remains highlighted when the control loses focus.

So you can set the HideSelection property of the ListView control to false to get what you want.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:03 AM
  • Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply!

To remain the lighlight color when a ListView losts focus, you can derive a new class from the ListView class and override the WndProc method. In the override WndProc method, ignore the WM_KILLFOCUS message.

The following is a sample.

Public Class ListViewExt
        Inherits ListView

Public Sub New()
            Me.View = View.Details
        End Sub

Dim WM_KILLFOCUS = &H8

Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)
            If m.Msg <> WM_KILLFOCUS Then
                MyBase.WndProc(m)
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class

Use the derived ListView control on your form instead of the standard ListView control.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Friday, February 1, 2008 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

The ListView class has provided a property "HideSelection", which gets or sets a value indicating whether the selected item in the control remains highlighted when the control loses focus.

So you can set the HideSelection property of the ListView control to false to get what you want.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:03 AM
  • Thank you Linda. That was very helpful.

I wish there was a way to change that light grey highlighted but lost focus color to remain the same color blue as when it was selected. But this is still better than no selection indicator at all !

Thank you once again Linda, You have been so helpful on many questions I have had.

Greg

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply!

To remain the lighlight color when a ListView losts focus, you can derive a new class from the ListView class and override the WndProc method. In the override WndProc method, ignore the WM_KILLFOCUS message.

The following is a sample.

Public Class ListViewExt
        Inherits ListView

Public Sub New()
            Me.View = View.Details
        End Sub

Dim WM_KILLFOCUS = &H8

Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)
            If m.Msg <> WM_KILLFOCUS Then
                MyBase.WndProc(m)
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class

Use the derived ListView control on your form instead of the standard ListView control.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Friday, February 1, 2008 8:48 AM
  • Linda

Thanks for the info so far it has been extemely helpful.  Once I have created the Class ListViewExt, how do I ensure that the instance I create has a particular panel object as its parent?  I normally achieve this by dragging the required component onto the panel in the designer which I don't believe I can do if I generate the instance in code.

Thanks

Chris

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Hi Chris,

> I normally achieve this by dragging the required component onto the panel in the designer which I don't believe I can do if I generate the instance in code.

Add the component to the Controls collection of the Panel at run time. For example:

ListViewEx listviewex = new ListViewEx();

panel1.Controls.Add(listviewex);

Hope this helps.

Linda

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:20 AM