Automatic Updates Will Not Work RRS feed

• Question

• So recently I was making a WPF app in Visual Studio. I had set up an FTP server to publish the files to. All of that is working fine. Whenever I publish a new version to the FTP server, the app on my computer will automatically update. However, on my other computer, this automatic update does not work. I get the following error: Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance. When I send the application to my other computer (I had to send it by email before I made the app automatically update), I zipped up some of the files from my project's bin/Release folder, after installing it with setup.exe. The files I included were

bin/Request
    | -- App.application
    | -- App.exe
    | -- App.exe.config
    | -- App.exe.manifest

I also included an external NuGet package (I'm not sure what to call it, honestly), which has a .dll file, and a .xml file. When I publish to the FTP server, every file is there (except externalpackage.xml, however, I don't think the FTP server is the problem, as the problem is only present on one computer).

Note: The computer that the updates work on is the computer where I programmed the application.
    I barely know anything about WPF and all this ClickOnce stuff; this is my first time attempting to make an application. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Thanks for posting here.

>>Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance.

From MSDN, this error is a clickone general error, it occurs when one or more of the files listed in the application manifest cannot be found on the server. Please verify that you have uploaded all the deployment's dependent files, and try again.

What I usually find on these issues is it's related to a dependency that is set as "Include (Auto)" instead of just Include. It will work on some machines but not on others just depending on what DLLs are already installed on the destination machine.

Files to include Open up the Publish tab of your project properties and click on the "Application Files" and then inspect which DLLs are set to "Include (Auto)." You may need to change some of them to the standard "Include" for things that are installed into the GAC on your machine. Visual Studio will make some assumptions based on your machine's configuration.

Log File Another thing to check is usually the error message will reference a text log file. I don't believe it links it in any way so you'll have to browse out to it. But find that file and it should give you some more information.

Certificate Errors One problem that I have seen is if the SSL certificate that is installed on the server is not trusted on the machine you are attempting to install it on. I find this often for the GoDaddy SSL certifications since they are not always installed on machines who don't frequently use Windows Update.

Refer: Clickonce error: missing files. Need to get missing filename.

Also please refer to the following similar document for this issue:

"Please contact the application vendor for assistance" - Error Message.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:47 AM
  • Hi!  Thanks for the answer.  

So I set everything I could (some files didn't let me switch them from Auto to Include) to Include, and I made sure that I didn't sign it so that certificates wouldn't be the problem.  However, this did not work.   On my FTP server, everything in my Application Files/Version/ folder had the extension .x.deploy, if that has anything to do with the problem.  

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Hi Orion,

Not sure if it is because of the .x.deploy file, have you tried the following solution?

"Please contact the application vendor for assistance" - Error Message.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:32 AM