none
ClickOnce requiring multiple installs to install properly, applications disappearing on restart and multiple ClickOnce applications on same machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running into issues deploying several desktop applications with ClickOnce.  I am using Visual Studio 2019.  We are deploying to Windows 10 desktops and laptops.  We have used ClickOnce successfully for several years and occasionally run into a problem, but for the most part, those earlier problems were solved by uninstalling/reinstalling the application.  However, since our company recently updated our OS, Windows 10, I am experiencing the following issues.  I feel that they are related issues.  The applications are signed with a certificate.  I sign the assemble.  The application is a Full trust Application.  I am including the same application files that we always have.

1) Initial Installation requires multiple installs:  The users install the application from a file share.  The user double clicks the setup.exe file, ClickOnce opens, the user selects "Install".  The application seems to install properly, even creating a shortcut on the desktop.  However, the application doesn't open and the shortcut icon changes to a default windows icon.  When the user double clicks on the default windows icon, ClickOnce opens again and requires the application to install again.  The second and sometimes third attempt to install finally works and the application opens.

2) When the user restarts the machine, the shortcut icon changes to the default windows icon and once again requires the application to Install.

3) If a user has multiple ClickOnce applications, the user installs the first application.  Once they get that installed, they go to install the second application.  After the second application is installed, the first application stops working.  the shortcut icon changes to the default windows icon and once again requires the application to Install.  

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi skiingfool,

I can’t reproduce the issue, this is most likely caused by the system updating to win10.

So you can try the Peter Hansen’s workround.

[ClickOnce installation issue after Windows 10 Update]

Best Regards,

Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:56 AM