Redirecting a Website to Another Website RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

At my company we are deciding the best option to redirect our older site to the newer one. We are doing this because the older site has a better domain for SEO. Anyways the question we have is, if our contacts click on a post or an email link will the redirect still work from email and other links rather than just typing it in the search bar?

1. 301 redirect, we are thinking about doing this if we believe the new website has all the content we need
    2. "Poor mans 301" - is to change our root index.htm/html page to refer to the newer site

What is the best option here and will either or work with the question posed above^? 

BTW, sorry if this is a confusing way to pose this issue. I am having trouble articulating our needs and questions. 

Thanks,

Looking forward to the responses!

Monday, June 15, 2020 4:15 PM

All replies

• I can try and help. Before the steps below, make sure both websites are confirmed within Google Search Console.

1. Redirect at your domain registrar (GoDaddy, Google). If your new domain is exact copy with internal links like Acme.com/about-us or Acme.com/Contact  then choose the option if available to redirect to similar path/pages. You can also choose just to redirect entire domain to the new domain with https/http

2. Once you complete #1 then within Google Search Console, under the settings of the domain you wish to transfer, tell Google you are moving domains to the other website. Google will run a test to verify the 301 is working from you registrar in step #1. and if all is good, it will tell you success.

3. You e-mail depending on if you have it set up in your Hosting account or through somethings like Microsoft, will still work. You would have to delete the domain from your hosting or 3rd party in order for it not to work. You will need to setup e-mail with hosting or 3rd party for the new domain, in order for that to work. You can also within your hosting/3rd party have e-mails forwarded to the new e-mails.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:08 PM
  • Your first choice "301 redirect" is the right answer.

You can do it with just a few lines on .htaccess file. No need any plugin etc.

Redirect 301 / https://YOURNEWDOMAIN.com

Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:52 PM
  • If you opt to redirect I recommend you redirect each page accordingly.

About the email question. As long as your redirect is set right, it will work.

One question. I didn't understood the think with clicking on a post. A post where? On a site where you have a backlink to your old domain?

Sunday, October 11, 2020 1:07 AM
  • Hello,

At my company we are deciding the best option to redirect our older site to the newer one. We are doing this because the older site has a better domain for SEO. Anyways the question we have is, if our contactadfwhats click on a post or an email link will the redirect still work from email afsdafvdfdnd other links rather than just typing it in the search bar?

1. 301 redirect, we are thinking about doing this if we believe the new website has all the content we need
    2. "Poor mans 301" - is to change our root index.htm/html page to refer to the newer site

What is the best option here and will either or work with the question posed above^? 

BTW, sorry if this is a confusing way to pose this issue. I am having trouble articulating our needs and questions. 

Thanks,

Looking forward to the responses!

make sure to set permanent move from site A to site B in google webmaster tools. 

it will transfer all backlinks juice to new site from old site.

Sunday, October 11, 2020 1:21 AM
  • thanks this works well!
    Sunday, October 11, 2020 8:48 AM