none
Detecting InstallAllUsers value RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .msi installer built with Visual Studio 2008.  It runs some custom code based on the .NET Framework System.Configuration.Install.Installer class.  In my custom code I need to know whether the user selected Everyone or Just me on the Installation Folder dialog.  There doesn't seem to be anything in the Context.Parameters collection that indicates which option the user selected.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:54 PM

Answers

• This is the ALLUSERS (cases-sensitive) property in Windows Installer. If you pass it as [ALLUSERS] as part of your CustomActionData you'll see its value. It'll be 1 for a 'Everyone' install (per-machine).
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by BradVoy Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• It is a property, not a parameter.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for replying.  I understand that InstallAllUsers is a property.  But a property of what?  How can my installer code access this property?
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:55 PM
  • use CustomActionData Property to pass properties to your custom action

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:11 PM
  • This is the ALLUSERS (cases-sensitive) property in Windows Installer. If you pass it as [ALLUSERS] as part of your CustomActionData you'll see its value. It'll be 1 for a 'Everyone' install (per-machine).
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by BradVoy Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:28 PM
  • That's the connection I hadn't made yet.  Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of all of the different property names that can be used? TARGETDIR and ALLUSERS and all caps while ProductName is not. The lack of consistency makes it hard to remember everything.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:01 PM
  • http://www.bing.com/search?q=TARGETDIR

click on the first result.

Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:36 PM