none
Brand new Windows 7 installations of program and missing .appref-ms RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My work has a click once application (currently a VB 2008 windows forms project) that is deployed to Windows XP and Windows 7 machines.  We are noticing that sometimes on a Windows 7 machine, when the program is installed on it for the first time, we get the following error:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException:  Could not file file 'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OurCompany\Program Name.appref-ms

As a current workaround, we have noticed that uninstalling and reinstalling the application seems to work, but it got us to wondering, do we need to apply or change a setting within the application so we don't encounter this on brand new installations on Windows 7 machines?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:01 PM

All replies

• It seems that you used this way to operate your shortcut, right?

Then I think this would your answer:

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:13 AM
  • I compared our publish settings with our assembly settings.  The Assembly Company matches the Publisher Name and the Assembly Product matches the Product Name, so I don't think that would be the issue (otherwise we'd be getting on all installations, not just a few sporatic ones on just Windows 7 machines).

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Here's another wrinkle with new installations on Win 7 PCs.  In a couple of Windows 7 PCs, we have noticed that you have to run Internet Explorer as an Administrator first before even going to the Click once site in order for the application to run correctly, otherwise you would get the same FileNotFoundException.  Any idea why that may be happening?
    Friday, March 16, 2012 8:08 PM
  • It seems that some users cannot be allowed to install applications, or web page cache using is also have problem for those users.

Are those users not the Administrators Group in the local system?

How about create a new user on the problem system? I think this problem would be caused by some security configuration or policy configuration make the ClickOnce deployed application cannot installed well. How about the others ClickOnce deployed application, can they installed well in the same user account under the same system?

Or have a try to config the IE temp folder to another public place, like d:\abcTemp folder.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:00 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:48 AM
  • I'm ressurecting this thread because I know what's causing this!  (Though I'm not sure how to stop it). 

What we know is that when this error is happening on Windows 7 machines, the user installed the Click Once application under the Local Administrator account.  For some reason when that happens, the click-once installation is getting propagated to the users with lesser permission.  We have able to get around it by just uninstalling and reinstalling the application for the lesser users.  I'm curious though, is there a way to prevent a click-once installation from a Local Admin to be propagated to the lesser users?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:33 PM
  • I'm afraid there's no way to prevent local admin install it.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:06 AM