none
Converting Application from VB2008 to VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• My company has forced me to convert to VS2017.  My application in question was created using VB2008.

Most of the conversion to the new version seemed to go ok, except for having to reinstall some References...

However, when trying to run the application, I get an error...

The file 'f:\dd\vb\runtime\msvbalib\ApplicationServices\WindowsFormsApplicationBase.vb' does not exist.

I am assuming that the Windows form type I used in 2008 to create my application, does not exist in VS2017?

Any options other than recreating the UI?  (this would be a huge task for this application)

Maybe I just need to correct the referred folder location?  I can't find a 'f' drive...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

WindowsFormsApplicationBase Class has been around since .NET version 2. These are the supported versions.

4.8 4.7.2 4.7.1 4.7 4.6.2 4.6.1 4.6 4.5.2 4.5.1 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.0

Now thoughts

• A VS2008 project opened in VS2017 will run and not get this exception unless the normal process to start the application deviates from the standard startup e.g. using Sub Main for instance along with if one or more required references were removed.
    • Form structures have changes (not that it matters here)
    • You may have gotten a question to continue with an upgrade, that process would not cause this issue.
    • The single thing that is added to a project is a directory named .vs in the solution folder but that would not cause the current issue. Only VS2015 and higher read this folder, VS2008 knows nothing about it.

Question, what happens if you create a new VB.NET WinForm project, compile and run, does it run okay? If so then VS2017 is not the problem, if it does not run okay, try reinstalling the targeted .NET Framework or move to a higher version of the .NET Framework.

Option Create a new project and add classes and forms from the old project into the new project. May not be something you are happy about but it's an option. Size and complexity of the solution may be a deal breaker.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:02 AM