Black Screen *After* Unlocking My Lumia 1520 with WP8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a strange and serious error on my Lumia 1520 with WP8.1 Dev Preview. I have WP8.1 starting from the first day with no problems. They startet today or yesterday. 

When I unlock the phone I can see the start screen for a second. Than the screen becomes black. But touch is enabled. I can click around. But I can see nothing. Than after 10 to 20 seconds the display comes back. For 1 to 10 seconds. After this time it becomes black again.

Thats it. Phone unusable.

Any ideas?

Regards

Ingo

Microsoft Certified Master - SharePoint 2010

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:08 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same issue.... Lumia 1520. WP8.1 Dev Preview.. Working fine and now all of a sudden the black screen.. Same behaviour, the screen is active and I can click things but can't see anything.. Makes it hard to use the phone....
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Hello All:

Thank you for posting to the forum with your experience.  I have not seen other reports of this behavior nor experienced it on my 1520 with the 8.1 developer preview.  At this point I have a couple suggestions and a series of questions for anyone that is having this issue.

We will start with a few things to try.  Some of these are just shots in the dark but might be worth seeing if it changes your experience.

• Go to settings and toggle the following settings; battery saver, brightness, display (including adjusting the color profile).
    • Go to your lock screen settings and adjust the current settings here including the background used and the time out duration.
    • If you have an SD card in the phone, remove the SD card.
    • Perform a soft reset of the phone by going to storage sense > tapping phone > going to temporary files > delete > tap Internet Explorer settings > delete history.  Once you have done this, tap and hold the down volume button + the power button.
    • Factory reset the phone.  I do advise you to turn on all backups and copy media to a computer before doing this.

If the issue continues, please provide the following details.

• Make and model of phone.
    • Current OS version on the phone.
    • Current firmware revision on the phone.
    • Mobile operator.
    • Country you are located in.
    • Phones regional settings.
    • Description of issue.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns we can assist you with.

Mark W.

Monday, May 12, 2014 4:07 AM
  • Hi Mark,

thank you for your reply. I'd really like to test your suggestions and give you all the information you have aked for. BUT the phone is not usable. It is "ON" but unusable. I can tap on the screen but I see nothing. Every 10 to 30 seconds I see the screen for a half second...

How can I do a factory reset?

Backup in the phone is switched on. So a backup should exist. WP8.x creates backups automatically, doesn't it?

Regards
    Ingo

PS: I hope there will be a fix...

Microsoft Certified Master - SharePoint 2010

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Hello Ingo:

Thank you for the follow up and for the patience with this reply.  If you have the back up turned on then there should be a back up.  I might suggest you try connecting the phone to a computer and see if the phone is recognized and make sure media files are backed up to a computer.

Once you are ready you can do a manual factory reset of the phone by following these steps.

• Make sure your phone is charged (put it on charger to be sure)
    • Press and hold the volume down + power buttons until your
      phone vibrates and restarts.
    • When the Nokia Logo appears, press the volume down button repeatedly until
      an exclamation point appears.
    • As soon as the exclamation point appears, press the following buttons one at
      a time in a sequence:
      Volume up
      Volume down
      Power
      Volume
      down

The Nokia logo should briefly disappear and then come back (if the keys are pressed correctly). The spinning gears will then return for another 5-15 minutes before your device comes back with the Welcome screen.

If the gears should keep spinning for more than 30 minutes again, you should perform a hard reset using this alternate method. To do this press and hold the power-, volume-down- and camera buttons until the phone vibrates. Then release the power-button and keep the other two buttons pressed for another five seconds. The spinning gears will then return for another 5-15 minutes before your device comes back with the Welcome screen.

If the issue continues after doing this, there is a chance this behavior is an indication of larger issues with the phones firmware or hardware.  The next things to consider from here would be to get the ROM reinstalled and see if the phone is back to normal when the preview is not installed.  From there you can consider a reinstall or just waiting for the official release.  I have heard on this forum that there is a Nokia tool that allows you to do this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Hi Mark, I have the same issue with them, my nokia lumia 1520 turned into black screen and as they said, it is 'On' but the screen is black. I cant do anything with it. Ive tried your suggestion and it didnt work for me. Do you have any other solution?
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:11 AM
  • I have the same problem. It started with a flickering of the screen all morning and then this afternoon went black, nothing on the screen yet the phone is on. Any responses or solution yet?

Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Same problem I have had the phone for a day and it's doing the same thing I can't do anything 
    Friday, July 25, 2014 5:37 PM
  • You can download nokia software recovery tool... From there, if ur L1520 is not turning on, u can make it turn on.. And downgrade it into wp8 ... So i recommend u to download it..
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:33 AM