none
Automatically remove Page Color when replying / forwarding email in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm looking for a way to, preferably automatically, remove Page Color when replying to or forwarding emails. Technically backgrounds and page colors are against our company's policy. The rule isn't followed nor enforced. Frankly, a certain colleague (with whom I interact daily) has an annoying background that I have to remove every new email reply / forward.

I've currently customized the ribbon by adding Page Color to my "Message" ribbon to make it easier to access. I'd rather just have replies / forwards automatically apply "No Color" as my Page Color setting. I've considered making default replies plain text, but maintaining HTML formatting is imperative as we use bullets, bold, underline, and sometimes color to our fonts when replying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS - I was sent here via Steve Fan of TechNet Community Support at this link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/21993b8b-8715-4584-8dbc-7be42722b801/how-to-remove-background-colour-when-replying-to-emails?forum=outlook

"Sorry, there is no method to automatically set the background color to No color when replying or forwarding emails on Outlook side. The only way to do this is what you have mentioned: Options > Page Color > No Color.
    Maybe you can post your question in MSDN forum to check if we can achieve this goal via coding:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev

Regards,
    Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Sean,

The Outlook object model provides the HTMLBody property for mail items which allows to get or set a string representing the HTML body of the specified item.  The HTMLBody property should be an HTML syntax string.

Sub CreateHTMLMail()  
     'Creates a new e-mail item and modifies its properties.  
     Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem 
     'Create e-mail item  
     Set objMail = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)  
     With objMail  
     'Set body format to HTML  
     .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
     .HTMLBody = _  
     "<HTML><BODY>Enter the message text here. </BODY></HTML>"  
     .Display  
     End With  
    End Sub

Also you may consider using the Word object model to modify the message body. The WordEditor property of the Inspector class returns an instance of the Word Document class which represents the body. You are free to use the Word object model to change the background color. See Chapter 17: Working with Item Bodies for more information.

Finally, I'd suggest starting from the Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 article in MSDN.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hello Sean,

The Outlook object model provides the HTMLBody property for mail items which allows to get or set a string representing the HTML body of the specified item.  The HTMLBody property should be an HTML syntax string.

Sub CreateHTMLMail()  
     'Creates a new e-mail item and modifies its properties.  
     Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem 
     'Create e-mail item  
     Set objMail = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)  
     With objMail  
     'Set body format to HTML  
     .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
     .HTMLBody = _  
     "<HTML><BODY>Enter the message text here. </BODY></HTML>"  
     .Display  
     End With  
    End Sub

Also you may consider using the Word object model to modify the message body. The WordEditor property of the Inspector class returns an instance of the Word Document class which represents the body. You are free to use the Word object model to change the background color. See Chapter 17: Working with Item Bodies for more information.

Finally, I'd suggest starting from the Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 article in MSDN.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:26 PM
  • This is not a viable solution to roll out to thousands of workstations. Page colors / backgrounds are HIGHLY unprofessional. Microsoft, please take time to support the needs of your business users and make an option to remove all formatting and other crap from messages during reply / forward. I know some users just love their lime green or hot pink backgrounds, but they aren't appropriate in a business setting. We should not need to hire a software developer to correct a design defect in your software Microsoft.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 1:32 PM
  • Agreed. This is junk. I shouldn't have to work so hard to remove awful formatting from a reply. My replies should look like MY REPLIES not someone else's unprofessional tripe.

Often I'll force plaintext to get around this. It's the best workaround I've seen so far.

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:20 PM