none
Failed to load dataset because of the following error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object RRS feed

• Question

•  

I wrote a program using VB 2005 and added two datasets. The program still runs fine, but ever since I added a setup project, I get the warning "Failed to load dataset because of the following error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I open the solution. It may only be a warning, but its annoying and I would like to know how to resolve it.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi ByteMe65,

It’s hard to know the exact reason with the current information you provided. The error indicates some object reference may not be correctly initialized. I your case, I doubt the object may be the dataset. But I am not sure about this because you have said your application runs fine.

So now I suggest you first clean the solution and rebuild it, and see if the warning will disappear.

Best regards,

Bruce Zhou

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Hi,
    Uses: VS 2005, Win XP Pro;

I had the exact problem but didnt have luck on solving this problem by googling. When I tried to open my project which consists of DataSets in the DataSource created by using .NET Frameworks Oracle Provider in Design time then these errors come up every time. I wittnessed it pop ups an error message and also displays itself in the warning section of the Error list. I'm also having trouble creating a new dataset as well.

The Error which I came through were:
    "Load DataSet Error. Failed to load dataset because of the following error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Solution and Hint: Check your ConnectionStrings in the TableAdapter, provide authentic Connection Strings (In my case I was assign'n from Settings). Clean and Rebuild it few times and it worked.

Hope it does not continue.

Regards,

Hifni
    Hifni Shahzard Nazeer M.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:38 AM
  • This might sound strange but I have had the issue for years.  Try renaming your project folder and launch it again in visual studio and you will probably find it opens.

I have to do this every time I change my datasets within Visual Studio.

• Proposed as answer by Hamad Al-Absi Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:47 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Thank you very much.

The solution was " Try renaming your project folder and launch it again in visual studio and you will probably find it opens."

I moved my Solution to another folder then it works for me.

Thank you again.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Worked for me too. Thanx
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:54 PM