none
Virtual memory utilization for Outlook process on Win7 & Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having VSTO outlook plugin which loads html form with email window.

On Win7 (64 bit OS) machine with Outlook 2010 (32 bit), i am able to open approximately 25 email windows with html form and then outlook gets hanged or crashed as by then it reaches to max memory utilization which is 2 GB. I have verified with VMMAP tool. 

On Win 10 (64 bit OS) machine with Outlook 2016 (32 bit), i am able to open 45 windows and still see 500 MB free memory and utilized around 3.5 GB on VMMAP which indicates that with Win 10 and outlook 2016 getting 4 GB VM.

Is this something for 32 bit application, virtual memory size got increased to 4 gb from 2 gb with Win7? I tried to find out reference articles for this but no luck so far.

Thanks for your help.

-Manoj

ManojPatel

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• If the Outlook 2016 32 bit executable has been linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE (Handle Large Addresses) then a 64 bit version of Windows will give the process a 4GB address space.

See MSDN blog article Using /LARGEADDRESSAWARE on 64-bit Windows for 32-bit programs

The link in the blog article is broken.  You can see the table at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/294418/comparison-of-32-bit-and-64-bit-memory-architecture-for-64-bit-edition

The above includes the mention that "Applications that are compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option, as would be required to take advantage of the /3GB switch in 32-bit Windows, will automatically be able to address 4 GB of virtual memory without any boot time switches or changes to x64 Windows. Plus, of course, the operating system does not have to share that 4 GB of space. Therefore, it is not constrained at all."

• Edited by RLWA32 Friday, December 6, 2019 2:28 PM added link and info
    • Marked as answer by ManojPatel Friday, December 6, 2019 4:09 PM
    Friday, December 6, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Thank you. Any idea from where we can confirm whether outlook or any other 32 bit executable has been linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE

ManojPatel

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:24 PM
  • I could find out. It can be using below command on visual studio command prompt. 

dumpbin /headers devenv.exe | more

ManojPatel

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:40 PM
  • still small doubt i have is, my both win7 & win10 machines are 64 bit then why Win7 doesn't have "/LARGEADDRESSAWARE" linked with Office applications and Win 10 has ?

Is this something default configuration of Win10 or with operating system build it has been specified by IT team ? 

Thanks

ManojPatel

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:51 PM
  • still small doubt i have is, my both win7 & win10 machines are 64 bit then why Win7 doesn't have "/LARGEADDRESSAWARE" linked with Office applications and Win 10 has ?

Is this something default configuration of Win10 or with operating system build it has been specified by IT team ? 

Thanks

ManojPatel

You are asking about a design decision made 10 years ago by Microsoft when it created Office 2010, which is what you said is on your Win7 system.

Your Windows 10 system has a modern version of Office.

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Ok. Is my below understanding correct then ? 

"With 64-bit Win 7, there is no provision to link Office 2010 applications with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE and with 64-bit Win 10 & Office 2016, it's default setting for most of the Win32 application ?"

Thans,

Manoj

ManojPatel

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Ok. Is my below understanding correct then ? 

"With 64-bit Win 7, there is no provision to link Office 2010 applications with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE and with 64-bit Win 10 & Office 2016, it's default setting for most of the Win32 application ?"

I think you misunderstand the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE linker option.  It is used when an application is created, not afterwards.  Further, the application developer must take care to assure that the application can function properly using the larger address space.

Office 2010 applications (e.g., Outllook executable, Word executable, etc.) are created by Microsoft.  No end-user linking is relevant here.

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:25 PM
  • got it. Thanks for the clarification. 

ManojPatel

Friday, December 6, 2019 4:08 PM