Logman & Performance Counters RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My question is about “logman” (that’s the command line interface to manage performance counters)

When I try to run “logman” in osFamily=1 (i.e.Windows Server 2008 SP1), it gives

Data Collector Set                      Type                          Status
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error:
    The system cannot find the path specified.

Why????

This behavior is the same both for a role running in the elevated mode and for a remote user.

In osFamily=2 (i.e Windows Server 2008 R2) it’s ok. However there I have problems with logging of 32-bit counters to a file. I can see my counters in 32-bit Performance Monitor, but by unknown reason the user data set with logging of these counters doesn’t work. Both the services “Performance Logs & Alerts” and “Performance Counter DLL Host” are started! Possibly there is a bug in my code, but it works on my local computer…

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Logman needs the following services running:

Task Scheduler:
    C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    Windows Event Log
    C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss

If Task Scheduler is not running , you can use this command to start Task Scheduler:
      net start Schedule

Error: The system cannot find the path specified.

Please use Process Monitor to monitor the registry, file system, process & threads details and compare with a working set of logs to see which files are missing.

Moreover, I would like to suggest you to try the following:

1.Use Remote Desktop Protocol to connect to Azure virtual machines.

2.Launch the cmd.exe and run it as administrator.

3.Then use logman.exe process to collect Process Monitor logs from working and non-working machine. If the collected logs can be shared with us, we can find the issue more conveniently and provide further suggestions for you.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Proposed as answer by ketanbhut Monday, September 19, 2011 12:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Timoshenko Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:21 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Sergey,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks.

Wenchao Zeng
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi, Wenchao Zeng!

Thank you! I have additional info.

I’ve googled for the error “The system cannot find the path specified” and found the similar question

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/perfmon/thread/7dddbc1f-68a8-4291-ba0b-4899a3f3cbef/

But there is no answer there…

I’ve also inserted some output in my dll and put it in Windows Server 2008 R2. I’ve found that my dll is loaded by \Windows\SysWOW64\logman.exe. And the same dll is not used by Windows\SysWow64\perfhost.exe (but is it used on my local computer with Windows 7). Unfortunately I don’t know how logman and perfhost interacts with each other.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:45 PM
  • I am having this EXACT same issue (except I am on Server 2008 R2), and would be really interested in a solution. This error renders logman completely useless - even the examples in the help do not work!

Thanks so much for investigating.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Hi,

Logman needs the following services running:

Task Scheduler:
    C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    Windows Event Log
    C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss

If Task Scheduler is not running , you can use this command to start Task Scheduler:
      net start Schedule

Error: The system cannot find the path specified.

Please use Process Monitor to monitor the registry, file system, process & threads details and compare with a working set of logs to see which files are missing.

Moreover, I would like to suggest you to try the following:

1.Use Remote Desktop Protocol to connect to Azure virtual machines.

2.Launch the cmd.exe and run it as administrator.

3.Then use logman.exe process to collect Process Monitor logs from working and non-working machine. If the collected logs can be shared with us, we can find the issue more conveniently and provide further suggestions for you.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

• Proposed as answer by ketanbhut Monday, September 19, 2011 12:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Timoshenko Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:21 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:20 AM
  • Hi Ming Xu,

You're right, Task Scheduler is not started in osFamily=1 by default. After starting it logman doesn't give the error "The system cannot find the path specified".

Thanks,

Sergey.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:23 AM