unable to monitor memory disk utilization and network in/out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We have deployed 2 centos linux azure vm from vhd images and 2 windows 2016 Azure VM from MArket place. I need to monitor the memory utilisation, disk utilisation and network in/out utilisation and create alert notification however I am unable to find these metrics within azure monitor.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 3:35 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reaching out!! For Centos VM's , I would suggest you to go through this document which articulates the pre requisite and process for enabling the Azure Monitor for VM's. For mentioned the virtual machines, were you prompted with any errors while installing the Log analytics agent and dependency agent?  If so, can you please share more details so that we can check and assist you accordingly?
    Thursday, May 28, 2020 8:40 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Do I need to install both dependency agent as well as log analytics agent on both Centos and Windows VM? I tried installing the log analytics agent manually on my windows VM however from the control panel the status shows agent needs internet connectivity and hence it is not connected. None of my Azure VMs do not have internet connectivity.

Also can you please let me know what is the purpose for Azure Diagnostic extension. Cant I use this for memory monitoring,network, disk I/O monitoring?

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:34 PM
  • You can either use Azure Diagnostic Extension or Azure Log analytics agent(MMA) to collect the monitoring data. The key differences between them is shown below. You can choose according to your requirement.

The Dependency agent collects discovered data about processes running on the virtual machine and external process dependencies.Use the Dependency agent if you need to: Use the Map feature Azure Monitor for VMs or the Service Map solution

As your virtual machines are not connected to internet, you can use the Log analytics Gateway to collect the monitoring data. For more information, kindly refer this document.

Hope this helps!!

Monday, June 1, 2020 7:33 AM