none
Open Power point presentation in WebBrowser Control with out MS Office installation on the machine RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want to start a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation inside the WebBrowserControl. I followed the procedure in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304662
    The PC only has Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer  and there is no office installed. The client does not want office installed on the machine

If  Microsoft office is installed the change of  the File type settings under Folder Options the 'Browse in same window' to true works but without MS office installation this setting is not available.

Please let me know the alternative to have the power point open in WebBrowser Control without MS Office.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:29 AM

All replies

• Are you using Office 2003 Viewer?

For reasons explained here , this probably won't work entirely as described with Office 2003.

There's more info here and working from what's explained in these several pages, we got the following working on our system with 2003. This involves making edits to the registry. The usual warnings apply. If you don't know what the usual warnings are, don't do this.

• Open the registry and browse to HKLM\Software\Classes\PowerPoint.Show.8
    • Rightclick this and choose New, DWORD Value
    • Name it BrowserFlags
    • Doubleclick it to open it for editing
    • Click Base: Hexadecimal

The value you assign here will depend on how you want your links to PPT files to behave when clicked:

• To open the file as a read-only file in Normal (edit) view in PowerPoint, set Value data to a (lowercase letter A)
    • To open the file in SlideShow view in PowerPoint, set Value data to 8
    • To open the file in edit mode within the browser, set Value data to 1 (one). Note that only limited editing is possible and that the behavior's a bit unpredictable if the user launches a slide show from within this mode.
    • To open the file in SlideShow view within the browser, set Value data to 0 (zero)

For test purposes, we've published a page with links to presentations saved from PowerPoint 2000 and 2003 as both PPT (presentation) and PPS (show) files. The web site is hosted on a Solaris (Unix) server running the Apache web server.

And on the same server, there is a page with links to identical files saved as PowerPoint 2003 PPT and PPS, and as PowerPoint 2007 PPTX and PPSX

Quoted from : Control how the browser opens PowerPoint files

Hope that works for you :)
    Life would have been much easier if I had the source-code !!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:40 AM
  • I am using Microsoft power point viewer 2007. I tried settting the BowserFlags to 0 but the powper point viewer opens up separately. Do i need to do any thing more.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Which browser are you using?

Monday, September 14, 2009 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Are you using Office 2003 Viewer?

For reasons explained here , this probably won't work entirely as described with Office 2003.

There's more info here and working from what's explained in these several pages, we got the following working on our system with 2003. This involves making edits to the registry. The usual warnings apply. If you don't know what the usual warnings are, don't do this.

• Open the registry and browse to HKLM\Software\Classes\PowerPoint.Show.8
    • Rightclick this and choose New, DWORD Value
    • Name it BrowserFlags
    • Doubleclick it to open it for editing
    • Click Base: Hexadecimal

The value you assign here will depend on how you want your links to PPT files to behave when clicked:

• To open the file as a read-only file in Normal (edit) view in PowerPoint, set Value data to a (lowercase letter A)
    • To open the file in SlideShow view in PowerPoint, set Value data to 8
    • To open the file in edit mode within the browser, set Value data to 1 (one). Note that only limited editing is possible and that the behavior's a bit unpredictable if the user launches a slide show from within this mode.
    • To open the file in SlideShow view within the browser, set Value data to 0 (zero)

For test purposes, we've published a page with links to presentations saved from PowerPoint 2000 and 2003 as both PPT (presentation) and PPS (show) files. The web site is hosted on a Solaris (Unix) server running the Apache web server.

And on the same server, there is a page with links to identical files saved as PowerPoint 2003 PPT and PPS, and as PowerPoint 2007 PPTX and PPSX

Quoted from : Control how the browser opens PowerPoint files

Hope that works for you :)

I think all these registry settings are applicable only if, powerpoint is installed on machine. For powerpoint-viewers this is not working with web browser (IE).

--Cool_Dev-- 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Assalamualaikum...........

JaferAli bhai , i want the solution for the same problem u have.........

Assalamualaikum....

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:09 AM