Upload "zip" or other file type to SkyDrive by Rest API RRS feed

• Question

• Can I upload "zip" or other file type to SkyDrive by Rest API?
    I can upload "txt", "jpg" and some other kinds file type to SkyDrive by Rest API. But I failed to upload "zip" file by the same code.
    I found I can upload every file type in skydrive.com.
    The file object in MSDN does't tell me there is file type limit. Do I miss something? Thanks.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:24 AM

Answers

I can upload "txt", "jpg" and some other kinds file type to SkyDrive by Rest API. But I failed to upload "zip" file by the same code.
    The file object in MSDN does't tell me there is file type limit. Do I miss something? Thanks.

There is a list of file formats supported by the SkyDrive API
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:42 AM

All replies

There is a list of file formats supported by the SkyDrive API
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Does anyone know the rationale behind the decision to limit the SkyDrive API to certain file types while the web client allows uploads/downloads of any file type?

It seems like an arbitrary restriction that prohibits applications dealing in any native file format from using SkyDrive as a file storage and collaboration platform. If my application used photoshop files, for example, I could not use SkyDrive as a cloud storage platform.

There must be an underlying decision that was made to limit the REST API. It would be interesting to know what that was.

Damon Allison
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:58 PM
  • This restriction is becoming a real issue for us. It seems that if you can put the file in your SkyDrive from your desktop app that you should be able to use the REST API. Is there anyone in the forum who can help us get around this issue? As a side note on this, downloading other files doesn't appear to be an issue at all. We really like Microsoft, but this seems to be a bad situation for them when users can move their files away easier than bringing them in.
    • Proposed as answer by JAG_DKR Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JAG_DKR Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:03 PM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Here is what i do in my ios app.

i simply append ".pdf" to all uploaded file then remove 'em once downloaded!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Do you guys know if this issue was solved by Skydrive team? And if it wasn't, did you already try upload your .zip file with some append like .pdf then rename to "disappend" when the upload has been completed?

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:59 PM