none
VS 2012 DataSet Designer Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently having a problem using the DataSet Designer in VS 2012 Ultimate (C#).  When I drag a TableAdapter object onto the designer surface, I get an 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error.  I have found some clunky ways around this problem and getting the table adapter I require, but it is a royal pain in the rump.

I have Googled this error in about every way I can think of, but I have not found anything which leads to a solution.

Does anyone have any experience with this designer problem?

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hello,

• Are you on a 64 or 32bit development machine?
    • Have you tried this operation in another project?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my webpage under my profile but do not reply to forum questions.

Monday, July 27, 2015 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Esotericus Minutia,

Have you added the connection in the Server Explorer before dragging TableAdapter?

I suggest you saving your project, then close the VS, Reopen the solution. Try the same operation again.

If it is still not working, You could clear all the things in DataSet Designer and then delete all the connections to the database  in Server Explorer, readded into it.  Please note to backup your solution before deleting.

Best regards,
    Youjun Tang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:30 AM
  • No, these strategies did not work.  Any other ideas?
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Hi Esotericus Minutia,

Have your issue been solved? 

As we can't reproduce the issue in our machine, Maybe the issue is related to VS tool. I suggest you uninstall the VS, then Reinstall the VS, open the solution try again.

Regards,
    Youjun Tang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:02 AM
  • No, my issue has not been solved, and I don't think reinstalling Visual Studio is feasible for me at this time.

I was able to look into the bug reports to Microsoft and did find this issue reported.  However, the issue was closed because it could not be reproduced.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, July 24, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe you could install the VS 2013 or 2015, the issue may has been fixed in this version.

VS free download: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Omar.

Monday, July 27, 2015 8:14 AM
  • Can you try to start-up the VS in Safemode and check if the problem persists?

Fouad Roumieh

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:43 AM
  • Hello,

• Are you on a 64 or 32bit development machine?
    • Have you tried this operation in another project?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my webpage under my profile but do not reply to forum questions.

Monday, July 27, 2015 10:14 AM
  • No, this did not help.  The behavior remains as before.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Not an option for me at this time, I need to keep my dev machine at 2012 for the time being.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:05 PM
  • I am currently on a 64 bit development machine.

I did try this on a brand new project and it failed, however, there was an old data connection entry in the server explorer window from a previous project written in VS2008.  I deleted this entry and created a new entry to another database and now the TableAdapter wizard comes up.  Note that this is a blank test class library, so it may not work on an mature project, but it seems a step in the right direction.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:10 PM