none
Basic: Start Menu shortcut and uninstall option RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I want in my setup project to add shortcuts to the Start menu and also I want in the Start menu to be the uninstall option. How can I accomplish that?

Thursday, December 7, 2006 12:13 AM

All replies

• Are you using ClickOnce or a "Setup & Deployment" project?
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 5:00 PM
  • HI

I'm using a "Setup & Deployment" project

And there is something else I need to do.

In the app directory I have to create some files txt. I have notice that when I unistall the application the folder and those files I have created inside are not removed..and I need to remove everything from the user machine...so How?

thks

Thursday, December 7, 2006 8:59 PM
  • In general you can create shortcuts in the File System editor.

For an uninstall shortcut (which is not recommended in general) you could create a shortcut pointing to msiexec.exe with cammand line paramater:

/x [ProductCode]

But I don't think you can create a shortcut that way in Visual Studio. You would have to post-process your .msi file or use a more powerfuö msi authoring tool (see www.installsite.org/go/msidev.htm for a list).

If your application creates those text files at run time (so you don't install them) you could either install dummy text files, or add rows to the RemoveFile table in your .msi (again, not possible with Visual Studio)

Friday, December 8, 2006 5:10 PM
  • I have the same question except that I'm trying to use Click-once.  I have already discovered the method for adding a desktop icon using the .IsFirstRun method and copying the .appref-ms file to the desktop.  I am still looking a way to clean up these extra references when the user uninstalls the application through the add/removes programs.

I thought of creating a second 'Uninstaller' application which will 1.) Delete the desktop icon.  2.) Call the uninstall for the primary application.  If I were using msi, this would be a piece of cake since you can use the command like "msiexec /x applicationname" but for ClickOnce is there any such way to call an application uninstall without 'clicking' on it?

Another approach (or worrisome bit) would be to change the registry store information to call the secondary uninstall when the Add/Remove programs uninstall is called.  I'm familiar with the 2000/xp registry, but would this approach work under Vista?

Thanks for answers, thoughs and suggestions.

Monday, December 11, 2006 8:28 PM