Remove Mapping RRS feed

• Question

• I have mapped my project to a local folder "c:\Project" i now want to remove that mapping.
    When i remove the mapping TFS is deleting all the files in "c:\projet"
    Is there a way to remove the mapping but still keep the local files in "c:\project"?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 5:48 AM

Answers

• You can remove the mapping in the Manage Workspaces dialog (File -> Source Control -> Workspaces...) Pick your workspace and remove the entry for that mapping. Then hit OK. When prompted to perform a Get you can say "no" and the items will stay on your local disk until you next perform a Get.

Thanks
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, March 22, 2010 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Not sure whether it works for the commandline (tf workspace). You can also use the TFS Sidekicks: http://www.attrice.info/cm/tfs/index.htm
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Hi Alien,

Thank you for your post.

If you remove the mapping of project folder, it will delete all the files in the folder. It's by design. It performs the same behavior in Team Explorer 2010.
    Thus, it might be some third party software would help you to "remove the mapping but still keep the local files".

I can understand your favor on this feature. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need this feature. Then submit this suggestion on our Connect portal site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Thank you for your help.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:59 AM

All replies

• Not sure whether it works for the commandline (tf workspace). You can also use the TFS Sidekicks: http://www.attrice.info/cm/tfs/index.htm
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Hi Alien,

Thank you for your post.

If you remove the mapping of project folder, it will delete all the files in the folder. It's by design. It performs the same behavior in Team Explorer 2010.
    Thus, it might be some third party software would help you to "remove the mapping but still keep the local files".

I can understand your favor on this feature. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need this feature. Then submit this suggestion on our Connect portal site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Thank you for your help.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:59 AM
  • You can remove the mapping in the Manage Workspaces dialog (File -> Source Control -> Workspaces...) Pick your workspace and remove the entry for that mapping. Then hit OK. When prompted to perform a Get you can say "no" and the items will stay on your local disk until you next perform a Get.

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:57 PM

Thanks

It worked! It's really a big help. Thanks Kelley. You're great!
    Monday, June 28, 2010 11:48 AM
  • I have a good reason why you should keep local copies when mapping is removed...

Real coders who have to do do real work with these tools sometimes have to change servers.  Since the TFS development team didn't see fit to provide a "Change TFS Servers" option, that means we have to go through a terrible process that takes DAYS to complete to remove source control crap from our files/projects/solutions and re-add them to new servers.

How's that for a reason? Seriously who tests this stuff?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:13 PM
  • This thread is a bit old, but there's another easy solution:

1. Map the TFS project to your local folder as usual.
    2. Go into Windows Explorer and make a copy of the entire project folder, then paste it back into your Visual Studio\Projects folder. It will say "Copy of xxx" (project name).
    3. Go back into Visual Studio and remove the mapping to the original.
    4. Use the project in the "Copy of..." folder, which is completely outside of TFS.

Mark

• Proposed as answer by MQuiggJax Friday, June 22, 2012 3:03 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Thank you so much...I didn't know you can remove mappings this way...great help
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:07 PM
  • The manual copy method is a permanent one. In the other method if you take next time Get latest it will be wiped.

So better go with Manual copy and paste method.

Cheers KSR

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:57 AM
  • I have more than one application in that workspace. I picked the particular application folder using the browse picker and clicked Remove. The circle whirled for five minutes. I answered "No" at the next prompt. The mapping to the local path remained, so I guess it didn't work :(

Oops. Sorry. It did work. I just could see that it was unmapped until I clicked on something else which refreshed the mapping. My apologies.

• Edited by sweetdaddy Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:11 PM Correction
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:01 PM
  • >>When prompted to perform a Get you can say "no" and the items will stay on your local disk until you next perform a Get.

MMmmm - wow, and when I next time do "Get", it will delete all my projects in this folder? Beautyfull system :\

And I don't see it as unmapped in "Source control explorer".. It shows not greyed-out and shows mapped folder path in "Local path"..

p.s.: I think it is wrong at all to delete local data when "Unmap". Unmap is unmap, and data destroying is another function :\

How to disconnect from this beatifull system without data loss, without copy-paste all project files to another location?..

upd.: Ok, I disconnected workspaces that way, then for test in "Team Explorer" I selected one of Team projects to map it back, and pressed superbutton "Map & Get". And it DELETED all files from my harddrive, not only in pointed team project folder. Thank You, I have a lot of free space now :)

Of course I made a backup before because I was waiting for something in that way. BUT..

English is not native for me, maybe "Map and Get" is something equal to "DELETE ALL MY PROJECTS PLEASE!", I don't know..

upd2.:

Seems like projects remain binded and when You perform  "Get" for Project A, it "deletes" projects "B", "C", or what You removed earlier..

So if You don't want to find Your projects deleted someday- after remove from workspaces saying "No" - do this:

p.s.: and for sure, I am not responsible for anything :)

Разработчик под SharePoint, http://rockietm.wordpress.com, http://demo.arsenal-it.com

• Edited by Rockie_ Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:05 PM
    Sunday, November 8, 2015 8:56 AM