none
Visual Studio 2005 - Microsoft IDL compiler has stopped working - Error - Problem Event Name: BEX, Application Name: midlc.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to build a 32 bit C++ application using visual studio 2005 ver 8.0.50727.867 sp2 in Window 7 sp1.

I am getting the below error while building. 

Microsoft IDL compiler has stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BEX
      Application Name: midlc.exe
      Application Version: 6.0.366.1
      Application Timestamp: 41172b50
      Fault Module Name: midlc.exe
      Fault Module Version: 6.0.366.1
      Fault Module Timestamp: 41172b50
      Exception Offset: 0003ec8a
      Exception Code: c0000409
      Exception Data: 00000000
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 4858
      Additional Information 2: 48587caf764b29cac8db84edc73ca4de
      Additional Information 3: dfe5
      Additional Information 4: dfe51501acd25f8e4abf607b31542762

I tried to install/re-install visual studio 2005 several times and it is of no use. The interesting thing is my colleagues are able to successfully build the solution. I would appreciate any help.
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, the MIDL stop working on your computer with VS2005 in window 7 SP1. But your colleagues are able to successfully build the solution. Does your colleagues also use VS2005 in window 7 sp1 to build?

If yes, I suggest you can compare the project settings with your colleagues. Because the MIDL compiler must interoperate with the C compiler and C preprocessor. MIDL does not accept C++ syntax on input.  Here describes the requirements for the C compiler. So maybe there are some settings different from your colleagues’ computer.

Or maybe you can have a try to use VS2012 to test it again.

Best Regards,

May

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:13 AM

All replies

• BEX stands for Buffer Overflow Exception. Do you have a memory dump?

Blog: http://ntcoder.com/bab

Posts are provided as is without warranties or guaranties.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the MIDL stop working on your computer with VS2005 in window 7 SP1. But your colleagues are able to successfully build the solution. Does your colleagues also use VS2005 in window 7 sp1 to build?

If yes, I suggest you can compare the project settings with your colleagues. Because the MIDL compiler must interoperate with the C compiler and C preprocessor. MIDL does not accept C++ syntax on input.  Here describes the requirements for the C compiler. So maybe there are some settings different from your colleagues’ computer.

Or maybe you can have a try to use VS2012 to test it again.

Best Regards,

May

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:13 AM