none
How can I accept or cancel changes in a bound datagrid? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DataGrid that is bound to a class.  It works well loading and saving data.  My problem is the data is saved as soon as someone press Enter.  I would like to have a Save button and Cancel button on the form that the user must press once they are happy/unsatisfied with their changes.  I seem to keep running into roadblocks.

Here is the class I am using to bind to the DataGrid:

public class RecipeDataProvider
        {
            private RicetteTableAdapter adapter;
            private RecipesDataSet dataset;

public RecipeDataProvider()
            {
                dataset = new RecipesDataSet();
                adapter = new RicetteTableAdapter();
                adapter.Fill(dataset.Ricette);

dataset.Ricette.RicetteRowChanged += new RecipesDataSet.RicetteRowChangeEventHandler(RecipesRowModified);
                dataset.Ricette.RicetteRowDeleted += new RecipesDataSet.RicetteRowChangeEventHandler(RecipesRowModified);
            }

void Ricette_RicetteRowDeleted(object sender, RecipesDataSet.RicetteRowChangeEvent e)
            {
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            }

void RecipesRowModified(object sender, RecipesDataSet.RicetteRowChangeEvent e)
            {
                try
                {
                    adapter.Update(dataset.Ricette);
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);
                }
            }

public void UpdateRecipes()
            {
            }
            public DataView GetRecipes()
            {
                return dataset.Ricette.DefaultView;
            }
        }

Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:08 PM

Answers

• You only really show half the story, some xaml would help to answer exactly, so I'll just ramble and I hope it at least helps:

Firstly, remove the "RowChanged - adapter.Update" bit.

Then the rows will just persist in the DataGrid, until you add a button to save it:

<Button Content="Save" Click="Button_Click"/>

private void Button_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
        adapter.Update();
    }

As for reset, you don't show how you bind this data. I'd guess you could re-call the Fill in the delete button click handler:

Maybe you should implement INotifyPropertyChanged on your class, make dataset.ricette.DefaultView as a public property (like "MyDataView") and just call PropertyChanged("MyDataView"), to cause the DataGrid ItemsSorce to rebind.

It's hard to answer exactly without seeing the full picture. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

• Marked as answer by DChiShaggy Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:21 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:40 AM

All replies

• You only really show half the story, some xaml would help to answer exactly, so I'll just ramble and I hope it at least helps:

Firstly, remove the "RowChanged - adapter.Update" bit.

Then the rows will just persist in the DataGrid, until you add a button to save it:

<Button Content="Save" Click="Button_Click"/>

private void Button_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
        adapter.Update();
    }

As for reset, you don't show how you bind this data. I'd guess you could re-call the Fill in the delete button click handler:

Maybe you should implement INotifyPropertyChanged on your class, make dataset.ricette.DefaultView as a public property (like "MyDataView") and just call PropertyChanged("MyDataView"), to cause the DataGrid ItemsSorce to rebind.

It's hard to answer exactly without seeing the full picture. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

• Marked as answer by DChiShaggy Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:21 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Yes I should have thrown in the code showing how I was binding the data. Here is that bit from the xaml:

<Window.Resources> <ObjectDataProvider x:Key="RecipeDataProvider" ObjectType="{x:Type local:RecipeDataProvider}"/> <ObjectDataProvider x:Key="Ricette" ObjectInstance="{StaticResource RecipeDataProvider}" MethodName="GetRecipes"/> </Window.Resources>

<Grid DataContext="{Binding Source={StaticResource Ricette}}........./>

Doing it that way worked well for loading and updating the data, but I did not have any control of it from the code.  So I eliminated all of xaml I showed above.

So now my code looks like this:

public MainWindow()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
                dataGrid1.DataContext = rdp.GetRecipes();
            }

And I can update with my button click:

private void btnSave_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
             {
                 rdp.UpdateRecipes();
             }

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:30 PM