KB 973593 RRS feed

• Question

• After installing KB 973593 we have dificulty with screen updting in VBA code. On screen is visible some "lost" things for whic I can't tell where are from.

If I uninstall KB 973593 there is no problems.
    So You have 2 possibilities:
    - uninstall KB and all yours cutomers.
    - be patient with new patches for Excel 2007. There is simple soluton. Only redesigning 100.000 of code and put some new application.screenupdatig = true in right places. Where this right places are - be patient and you'll find all this places.

Does somebody find some new patch for "old screenupdating"?

Regards, Joze
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

Thank you for contacting "Innovate on Office" forum!

We provide support on advisory issues for MS office 2007 where we address "How-to" questions. The issue submitted by you requires troubleshooting, that’s why this forum is not the right place to post your issue.

Depending upon your partner level, you have the following three options available to use our services:

1.     Purchase an incident pack.

2.     Contact the main-stream support team of Excel in Microsoft.

3.     You can call Customer service representative (CSR) at 1-800-936-5800 X 88987

OR

- Use one of the incidents available to you.

OR

- Visit https://partner.microsoft.com/global/supportsecurity/technicalsupport/40014662

Since this is related to a KB article, please feel free to register your valuable feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com.

Thanks,
    Sunando 

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Hi

I completely understand the issue at hand and how frustrating it can get at times. To channelize these issues we have a portal http://connect.microsoft.com where you can post your feedback and grievances. And if it is related to a bug, then even if you go the route of a support incident it will be a non-drecremental one.

I hope it clarifies your concerns. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Thanks
    Sunando
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thanks for contacting Innovate on Office.

We will provide an update soon.

Thanks
    Sunando
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Hi,
    Same issue here.
    I have posted in the Excel forum:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerofficeexcel/thread/0ea2a83b-c579-4ce3-8f4d-b9077a29d342?prof=required

At first I thought the issue was in xl 2007 only, but I have found the same behavior in excel 2003 too (not as much though).
    It started around mid-November after some MS Updates were installed; cannot confirm which ones though.

Thanks for bringing it up, Joze. I sometimes feel it is tought to get heard and get fixes properly dealt with...
    Comes to mind the drop of support for worksheet.Protect with UserInterfaceOnly set to True: it doesn't work anymore on Shapes objects... no mention of it in the documentation. After posting th issue, ms said it's a bug but it will not be fixed. Period.  For me, it means ten of thousands of line of code to go through but mostly dealing with end customers complaining about the apps breaking all of a sudden.  Maybe soon, ms will drop InterfaceUserOnly for the sheets too altogether without saying anything. As you can read, I am a bit in a bad mood, but it's 2 months I am dealing with multiple bugs, spending hours in these forums ... i'm exhausted.  

Good luck.

Sebastien
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for contacting "Innovate on Office" forum!

We provide support on advisory issues for MS office 2007 where we address "How-to" questions. The issue submitted by you requires troubleshooting, that’s why this forum is not the right place to post your issue.

Depending upon your partner level, you have the following three options available to use our services:

1.     Purchase an incident pack.

2.     Contact the main-stream support team of Excel in Microsoft.

3.     You can call Customer service representative (CSR) at 1-800-936-5800 X 88987

OR

- Use one of the incidents available to you.

OR

- Visit https://partner.microsoft.com/global/supportsecurity/technicalsupport/40014662

Since this is related to a KB article, please feel free to register your valuable feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com.

Thanks,
    Sunando 

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:42 AM
  • HI,

I even find more stuped behavior:

Activesheet is S1.
    There is screen updating true, events enabled and calculation automatic.

then in code I'm doing something on second WS (TrendPie):

With Worksheets("TrendPie")

.Cells(TREND_RSETTINGS, 2).Value = Mid(ChartIndicator, 1, 1)

.Cells(TREND_RSETTINGS, 3).Value = Mid(ChartIndicator, 2, 1)

.Cells(TREND_RSETTINGS, 4).Value = Mid(ChartIndicator, 3, 1)

End With

with every line I get visible third (3!!) WS but only partial.
    Only solution is to put screen updating to false, calulation to false this code and then both back to normal. BUT in proper order - first screen updating off, calulation manual - code - calculation automatic and then screenupdating true.
    But this is only ONE examlple from my code (I never counted, but I'm sure 100.000 lines are in question).

We send long list of errors on MS - we find them in beta version - some of them were corrected in release - but we got new problems.
    Did we recive mail with thanks? Be serious! So we never bother MS support again with our stupid errors like screen blinking without need, odd things when sheet is not active and code is calulate something on nonactive sheet and nothing happend...

This is not incident - this is error and I'll use availible incident for thing which I can't solve an it's my error. This is MS error, but nobody care about this.

Good luck to you Sebastien too

Joze

Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Hi

I completely understand the issue at hand and how frustrating it can get at times. To channelize these issues we have a portal http://connect.microsoft.com where you can post your feedback and grievances. And if it is related to a bug, then even if you go the route of a support incident it will be a non-drecremental one.

I hope it clarifies your concerns. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Thanks
    Sunando
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Jose?  Call 1-866-pcSafety.  Issues with a security patch are a free call.  Please do not post your frustrations at connect.

If you are outside of the USA, there are resources at your local Microsoft office.  If you are unsure how to get help. please ping me at sbradcpa-at-pacbell.net and I can get you in touch with the support you need for this issue.

(Moderator, please do not delete my email address I want people to email me, also please in the future urge folks with security patch issues to call 1-866-pcsafety)

Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:46 AM
  • What Susan said.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Hi Joze,

Do file your experiences as suggested by the other MVPs, it helps!

In the meantime the workaround you are already doing should indeed help although you may see a flicker. I don't think you need to temporarily disable calculation, at least not for this specific issue, simply disable and re-enable Screenupdating when done.  Actually you may find simply the following is enough (it depends).
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

This should help minimise the impact in most scenarios. However there are one or two situations that really do require uninstalling KB973593 for Excel 2007 and/or KB973475 for Excel 2003.

Regards,
    Peter Thornton

Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Here is the solution:

Sub Sample_Report_Refresh()
        'Set screen update false
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Here will come code
        '........
        '........
        '........

'Reset Screen
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Call Reset_Screen
    End Sub

Function Reset_Screen()
        With ActiveWindow
            .ScrollColumn = 1
            .ScrollRow = 1
            .Zoom = .Zoom - 1
            .Zoom = .Zoom + 1
        End With
    End Function

Thanks,
    Muhammed Rafeek,
    PharmARC Analytic Solutions

Monday, December 21, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Hello Muhammed
    Thank you for your idea. Unfortunately it does not work with event macros. I also found a solution with scrolling down and up to refresh the screen. But it does not work inside an event contolled macro. Only when I start the macro by hand, the screen refreshes.
    But now I found a workaround with starting de refresh Macro OnTime. Here my solution example:

Sub Sample_Report_Refresh()
        'Here will come code
        '........
        '........
        '........

'Starts macro "ScreenUpdate" one second after the following instruction    
     Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), "ScreenUpdate"

End Sub

Sub ScreenUpdate()                  'Macro refreshes the screen by srolling down and up two pages
        ActiveWindow.LargeScroll Down:=2

ActiveWindow.LargeScroll Down:=-2

End Sub

Maybe this will help anyone to work around this annoying microsoft problem

Best Regards
    Martin Stalder

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I also have encountered this problem, which in my case can happen even when
    another sheet recalculates.  A quick way to remove the ghost images is to call this macro:

Sub BlinkPanes()

ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = Not ActiveWindow.FreezePanes
        ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = Not ActiveWindow.FreezePanes

End Sub

The trick is to have it called automatically for the current sheet, after the other
    sheet recalculates, without having it called every time anything changes.  I'm
    still working on that trick.

Hope this helps, and I hope Microsoft manages to correct this problem.

Regards,

Rich Clark

Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:32 AM
  • A temporary hotfix for the buggy KB973593 for Excel 2003 can be obtained on request here

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=978908&kbln=en-us

Please feel free to report experiences with this here, good or bad.

No news yet about an eqivalent for Excel 2007

Regards,
    Peter Thornton
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:54 AM
  • The temporary hotfix for Excel 2007 is described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978522/

Regards,

Rich Clark
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:44 AM