Fiddler? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some issues with get authentication errors and I tried to download fiddler to diagnose the problem outside of the code environment because the diagnostic code does not run due to the error.

The ROOT ERROR I am getting is
    "Load operation failed for query 'Login'. The remote server returned an error: NotFound."

I am getting this when I try to login with credentials either in my published software or the debugger. I found a detailed post on this but I am down to the instructions to use the third party fiddler program to diagnose the communication errors. I cannot do this though and was wondering if there are any other options or software for diagnosing the problem as it could come from a lot of sources.

Also If I try to republish the program I get an error

"An exception occurred when deploying the database for the application.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:18 AM

All replies

• Both errors indicate your SQL Server database does not exist.  Does it?  Can you use Server Explorer in Visual Studio to login and see what is there?

-- David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:00 PM
  • It is LocalHost how would there suddenly not be a local host on this machine or on any other machine I have not been able to open either the published software installation after a clean install or in the debugger in VS.

Previous installations of published versions of this software worked just fine.

• Edited by reigh7 Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:28 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:26 PM
  • You got an error when publishing.  The Publish wizard should have prompted you to enter the database connection string.  Can you publish again and verify that it is correct?

You do not use LocalHost on a published site, as far as I know.

-- David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:10 PM
  • I had previously published as a desktop application successfully
    the application services were set up to run on the end users machine.

I had also run the debugger through a localhost server.

Under Server Explorer I can see Admin-PC and in the setup for publishing I set Admin-PC\SQLEXPRESS\Patient Records

Like I said though previously I published just fine I believe there was some corruption of my project files which prevents me from publishing.

Also I am able to run a similar type of application project in the debugger that is called 'Services Management' and built in VS with LS. I am getting some Dreaded Red X behavior with that program but it is running on the localhost debugger.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:00 AM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:32 AM
  • You got an error when publishing. 

I now have retrieved from the University a copy of the software I know to be stable and installable but when I try and install it on my current machine I get this exact error.

An error occurred while communicating with the database.
    Inner exception message:
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

It may be that I need to install the right server??? My old machine was windows 7 Ultimate and my New machine is Windows 8 basic. I was running Visual Studio 2010 and have now installed visual studio 2012 and the dependencies like the server. I need to know how this works anyways if I am to sell my software for others to install. If everyone gets errors and cannot install it I suspect I need to include the proper local server install for preview.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Look in the web.config file and search for “ConnectionString”.  This specifies the SQL Server and username/password.  Make sure it is correct.

Thanks,
    David

Saturday, June 1, 2013 5:00 PM
  • It appears that there is remnant of the windows authentication had setup first.
    <connectionStrings>
     <add name="IntrinsicData" connectionString="Data Source=ADMIN-PC\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=&quot;Patient Records&quot;;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=False" />
    </connectionStrings>

but I am using forms authentication

<authentication mode="Forms">
     <forms name="Patient Records" />
    </authentication>

Sunday, June 9, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Well good news it seems that after deleting a second copy of the project I had on the original machine. This second copy was missing all files in the common and server folders and after deciding it was un recoverable I deleted it. Only to find that suddenly the debug function now works properly in my original project. I can run that copy of the software in other words and now should be able to get the screen shots I need and begin to make sure all of the revamped Screens are the same as what would have been the most current. hopefully by doing this and actually then going through the process to upgrade the project to a LightSwich Version 2 project I will be able to run everything on my new machine as well.

Crosses Fingers.
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:14 PM
  • The Integrated Security=True; part in the connection string above means that the application (not the user) is using integrated Windows authentication to connect to the database.

The authentication mode="Forms" means that the application is set up to use Forms Authentication for the user that logs in.

So they are two quite different settings with quite different meanings. Hope that makes it clear. 

Regards, Xander

Monday, June 10, 2013 1:32 AM
  • I am still facing an issue though maybe you can help me trouble shoot. It appears I that I can only run the debugger on my old machine when I have the CD in my drive that I wrote a copy of the setup.exe and supporting files onto. If it is out of the CD drive the drive spins when I try and run the project file in the debugger from Visual studio then load to the authentication screen fails and I get an authentication error.

Also I still have not figured out why I cannot use the said CD to install onto my windows 8 machine due to the lack of a server. But the server is there it is a part of visual studio 2012 I have loaded on my new machine.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 6:59 AM