Raspberry PI 3B+ boot troubleshooting guide RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ is the latest product in the Raspberry Pi 3 range, boasting a 64-bit quad core processor running at 1.4GHz, dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2/BLE, faster Ethernet, and PoE capability via a separate PoE HA.

Recently, many customers who are interested in Windows IoT Core encountered the problem where the device could not boot normally after flashing Windows IoT Core, but Raspbian works fine on it. Following are some suggestions about how to troubleshoot the boot problem.

1. RPi 3B+ has been announced in March this year(2018), we can buy the product from 14<sup>th</sup> Mar. But Microsoft has not announced that Windows IoT Core fully supports RPi 3B+, we can find the insider preview image could be downloaded from this link(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot). And currently there is no timeline for the 3B+ release version.

There are some known issues in this insider preview image. Please note that:

• This image is only meant for RPi3B+ and will not boot on RPi2.
    • F5 driver deployment from Visual Studio does not work on IoT Core.
    • Onboard WIFI and Bluetooth do not work on RPI3B+.
    • Ft5406 touch screen driver is disabled on RPi3B+.
    • SD card activity LED is disabled.

If you want to use WIFI or Bluetooth, you can try to connect with an external module.

2. There are only 2 requirements when choosing which SD Cards to use with Windows IoT Core. You need to use a Class 10 SD card and make sure the card has enough space, at least 8GB of space. There are a couple SD Cards that have been Verified by Microsoft to be compatible with Windows IoT Core. Here’s the Microsoft Verified MicroSD Cards to work with Windows IoT Core:

• Samsung EVO 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Card
    • SanDisk Ultra Micro SDHC, 16GB Card

The above verified SD cards are recommended. Generally, you need to check if the SD card is fake or it is damaged or corrupt. SD card is equally prone to corruption due to various factors, such as power shortage or improper removal, etc. it is vitally important to make endeavor to safeguard your memory card against damage.

3. How to flash the image to SD card?

When you downloaded the image from above link, you can use Windows IoT Dashboard to flash the image to SD card. You need to choose OS Build as Custom, and then select the FFU file to flash.

4. Check there are hardware failures in the device. There are two LEDs on Raspberry Pi  3B+ board, as same as 3B. One is for PWR, while another one is for ACT. The amount of blinks the ACT light makes determines the reason your Raspberry Pi isn't booting. The SD card activity LED will not flash during some portions of boot on the Raspberry Pi 3B+.

5. When the device is booting and the device show the waiting page, please wait patiently. Generally, it will persist about 40~50 seconds. But sometimes, due to the SD card read-write speed, it may persist more time.

6. If the device can’t boot normally with Windows IoT Core, you can try to flash a Linux OS(such as Raspbian) to the SD card to narrow down whether the issue caused by hardware. And if the booting issue only occur with Windows 10 IoT core, please leave the manufacture and vendor of Raspberry Pi 3B+ and SD Card here to help us to troubleshoot this issue.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 16, 2018 3:19 AM

All replies

• Would be nice to see the 3b+ supported.  :)  May 2018 is a long time to go with no support.

Oddly there appear to have been no new insider builds of IoT since 17763 full release, with or without 3b+ support.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 8:52 PM
  • After much <g class="gr_ gr_9 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="9" id="9">effort</g> I was able to get v.10.0.17661.1001 up and running.  However, when I tried to do a windows update it got stuck.  Now when I open it in the device portal and select power - update and restart it doesn't do that, and when I reboot it by disconnecting the power and plugging it in again it is still stuck on the windows update feature - that feature <g class="gr_ gr_8 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="8" id="8">being</g> greyed out.  <g class="gr_ gr_10 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="10" id="10">Also</g> remote connection doesn't work.

• Edited by a_Rob_1 Friday, November 23, 2018 2:44 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Hello a_Rob_1,

Have you checked the log file for update? You can use ETW to trace the events for update.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Just bought a Raspberry PI 3 B+.  I'm trying to install Windows 10 IoT core but it will not boot. The Raspbian MicroSd card boots perfectly fine. The Raspberry Pi is from a CanaKit. Both OSes are on Samsung 32gb Evo + class 10 microSD cards.

Shawn

Saturday, December 1, 2018 2:40 AM
  • Hello seckley,

When the device boot , can you see the rainbow screen?

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:31 AM
  • hi,

i have the same Problem with 3B+. It just shows the rainbow screen. Image boots fine on 3B. I am using winows 17763. 

Is this a general issue with 3B+.

best regards

Kai

Friday, December 14, 2018 5:10 PM
  • Hello Kai,

Which is the vendor of your device?

Best Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:28 AM
  • I have only success in my two Raspis 3 model B+ using 

• RaspberryPi 3B+ Technical Preview Build 17661

available in https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot after to sign in

Sunday, January 20, 2019 6:03 PM
  • I have only success in my two Raspis 3 model B+ using 

• RaspberryPi 3B+ Technical Preview Build 17661

available in https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot after to sign in

This worked for me too to boot the device. When the technical preview is downloaded you have to mount the .iso file and then install the .msi contained within. This installer will place a FFU file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft IoT\FFU directory. Use that FFU in the IoT Core Dashboard (Step 3 of the first post in this thread).
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:27 PM
  • And sadly no updates since, no WIFI & Touch Screen support...

PTSS

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:59 PM
  • We are now at end of January and no news for 3B+ Win release, considering that a new Raspberry CM3+ is out by now...

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:12 AM
  • This is so completely childish - it should be a complete embarrasment for Microsoft

None of the downloads for the "Windows Insider" builds (which appear to be the only ones that actually work for Pi 3 b+) will NOT work unless you are using the Edge browser on Windows 10 - otherwise you get stupid, obscure errors messages ... and you need to do this in order to perform as successful install/boot in the 3 b+

Well done guys on encouraging support from the open source community?

• Edited by prwillmot Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:43 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:37 PM
  • In the past whenever I have compared Linux with Windows, Windows has ALWAYS been a much better and more stable experience.  However with my Raspberry Pi 3 b+, Linux is definitely a winner so far.  How could there not yet be a driver for the onboard wireless after this long?

Matt

Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Microsoft, one simple question. Will Windows 10 IoT Core ever fully support Pi 3B+ and later Pi:s ( PI 4 shouldn't be too far away) ?

I start to doubt it, PI3B+ has been out since May 2018 ...

Friday, April 26, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Win10 IoT Core is starting to look like more abandon-ware.

With the huge installed base of real devices using WinCE and WEC, I do not understand why Microsoft is throwing this base away with Win10 IoT Core. The vendors out there servicing the real embedded marketplace seem to have zero interest in Win10 IoT Core. I just completed an upgrade of a shipping embedded product from WinCE 5 on Vortex86DX to WEC 2013 on iMX7, and Win10 IoT Core was not even an option because of lack of vendor support from anyone!

Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:55 PM
  • Hi

Is this booting issue exists also in Raspberry Pi 3B model (the previous one)?

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:24 AM
  • i tried every ffu i could find, i can boot now because i replaced 6 files on boot like start and fixup etc but there is no luck on wifi and bluetooth. As far i know that's the problem with developers in microsoft? they have not released yet a new update or help people on that?

I found also that you could use ethernet with lan700-wdf but in order to use it you have to put in in previous verson raspberry and then copy them in b+, unfortunately i dont have any. 

So my final question is, are you gonna do anything about that or what? it's pitty to have windows iot without internet!!

Saturday, June 1, 2019 4:42 AM
  • Hello Zafeira,

At the moment, there is no update for Windows IoT Core on Raspberry Pi 3B+. But I get confirmation from the related team about Windows 10 IoT Core next release:

"We’re currently working on features that need a longer lead time and we will provide an update in the future on when the next release will be available.  We also expect your IoT Core apps will continue to work on the next release."

Best Regards,

Michael

Monday, June 3, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Too buggy and lacks support for really, really basic features. 

After weeks of testing at work, we decided to scrap them and use the 3b.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 10:15 AM
  • I also ran into the problem of installing Windows 10 IoT Core on a Raspberry Pi 3B +. I started from the Raspberry Pi 3B+ Technical Preview Build 17661 version but soon after an update to 17763.1 started. I now have a card with the usual 17661 version problems but at least I can install applications from Visual Studio and I even managed to install a Huawei K5160 LTE stick. I also hope in a solution to the problems of WiFi and Bluetooth and to a more stable and reliable version

Moreno Borsalino

Friday, June 21, 2019 4:32 PM
  • 08 July 2019. Does anybody know when the 3b+ model will get full update with full support of onboard wifi & bluetooth? Or any info about that? 
    • Edited by CptThade Monday, July 8, 2019 6:15 PM
    Monday, July 8, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Probably never...

Windows 10 IoT Core on Raspberry Pi is a dead end.

Linux is the way to go.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Probably never...

Windows 10 IoT Core on Raspberry Pi is a dead end.

Linux is the way to go.

Is this the case? Is there any statement the Windows IoT Core development for Raspberry Pis have been stopped?
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:43 AM
  • Is this the case? Is there any statement the Windows IoT Core development for Raspberry Pis have been stopped?

The latest release is from october 2018 and wifi still isn't working on the 3B+, more than a year later. The lack of development from Microsoft's part is as close to an official cancellation statement as we will ever get.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:38 PM