none
Where can I ask questions about Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Where can I ask questions about all of the "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" entries in my Programs and Features in Windows 10 Home?

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:33 PM

All replies

• What is your question here . I am not sure if there is any particular location but i think you can try in Window General and Development issue.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Rupesh,

I would like to know if I need all of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable entries in my Programs:

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:13 PM
  • What is the version of your visual studio you are using.And if they are getting installed as part of visual studio , then def they are there to serve some purpose . i can see you have 2008 2010 2013 etc . So it all depend on the component installed on your machine may be some of them have the dependencies on the other version or redistribution in that case yes you need them . But again as i mentioned it's all depend on the installed component on your machine.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Rupesh,

I have these Visual Studio versions on my computer:

I'm asking about this because two times when installing other software, I got these messages during the install:

I have never received those messages before and I'm not sure of how to resolve them.

Thanks,
    Tony

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Microsoft VS 6.0 is outdated now and it has nothing to do with the error you are showing here. Looks like someone had tried to install 2005 on this machine and somehow that installer is corrupted .So it is asking you either fix it or uninstall it .Click on yes to Undo these changes . Restart your computer and try again.That's all i can say at this point .You Also can try submitting this question to microsoft team,

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Rupesh,

>> Microsoft VS 6.0 is outdated now and it has nothing to do with the error you are showing here <<

Microsoft VS 6.0 is not the only version that I have installed as my screen shot shows.

>> Restart your computer and try again <<

I did that several times and also deleted all cookies, etc.

>> You Also can try submitting this question to microsoft team <<

How do I do that?

Thanks,
    Tony

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Hi Tony, I had told you the reason of different redistribution installed on your machine . It's basically due to the installed component on your machine which were created by different version of VS . So they need corresponding redistribution . Regarding Microsoft support you can check at.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?Audience=Commercial&wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Rupesh,

That link that you gave me is for paid business support.

Is there an MSDN forum where I can ask questions?

If I have a x64 computer, do I need the x86 versions of those redistributables?

Thanks,
    Tony

Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:01 PM
  • To accurately answer your questions somebody would need to know all of the executables ( EXEs and DLLs) installed on your computer (32 bit & 64 bit) and the versions of the VC++ runtime on which those executables are dependent.  I'm talking about installed software, not Windows' system executables.

While it is possible to make educated guesses based on assumptions that seem reasonable, only the owner/maintainer of the computer is in a position to make informed decisions. 

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:17 PM clarification
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Rupesh,

That link that you gave me is for paid business support.

Is there an MSDN forum where I can ask questions?

If I have a x64 computer, do I need the x86 versions of those redistributables?

Thanks,
    Tony

Regarding redistribution you can download it from Microsoft site, Just search for corresponding redistribution . Regarding support i had never tried by myself but i can see one section there for developers you can have a look into it may be this will help you.

There is another section for IT professional as well. OR let someone Microsoft to visit this thread and ans here. But i had seen other thread on google as well where they have same issue and they all did work around as i mentioned in my last post to click on yes.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:22 PM
  • I am the owner/maintainer of all my computers and you are one person that I do not want to communicate with about anything.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:24 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

thanks for posting here.

When you deploy an application, you should also deploy the files that are required to support it. The Visual C++ Redistributable Packages install and register all Visual C++ libraries. If you use one, you should set it to run on the target system as a prerequisite to the installation of your application.

But how to choose the version of the C++ redistributable package is depending on the programs you setup. Much of the time, the setup file also installs the packages by itself. However, each Visual C++ Redistributable Package checks for the existence of a more recent version on the machine. If the setup program doesn't check the existence, package is not installed. That's why you got the error messages.

So it will be hard to know which version you need to setup, unless the program has a document about it.

Hope this could be help of you.

Best Regards,
    Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:01 AM
  • I assume you did strange things on your systems. The user SYSTEM is normally used by system services. That the user SYSTEM tried to install VC++ 2005 is weired. Normally a system service does not start setups since there is no interactive GUI, ....

This user SYSTEM is not used outside the Windows System. And in your case I'd say if you were fiddelind something strange with this user you may damaged your system with this doing. And if you did not do it I'd say some malware did some strange things.

Anyway both would be a good reason for me to do a fresh setup of the system.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

• Edited by Bordon Friday, April 21, 2017 8:44 AM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 8:42 AM
  • I assume you did strange things on your systems. The user SYSTEM is normally used by system services. That the user SYSTEM tried to install VC++ 2005 is weired. Normally a system service does not start setups since there is no interactive GUI, ....

This user SYSTEM is not used outside the Windows System. And in your case I'd say if you were fiddelind something strange with this user you may damaged your system with this doing. And if you did not do it I'd say some malware did some strange things.

Anyway both would be a good reason for me to do a fresh setup of the system.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

I didn't do any "strange" things on my system and I did not do any "fiddelind".

Thanks,
    Tony

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:31 AM
  • I didn't do any "strange" things on my system and I did not do any "fiddelind".

Who has started the "DocumentDB Emulator Setup"?

If you, how can you start it with System-user? With which user do you login in to your computer?

If you did not start it, check your computer for malware.

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hello Sera.

Thanks for your help.

>> When you deploy an application, you should also deploy the files that are required to support it. <<

I am not deploying an application.

>> The Visual C++ Redistributable Packages install and register all Visual C++ libraries. If you use one, you should set it to run on the target system as a prerequisite to the installation of your application. <<

I don't use one.

>> So it will be hard to know which version you need to setup, unless the program has a document about it. <<

What program?

I am not trying to install or deploy anything.  I'm just trying to figure out which of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, if any, I can remove from my system.

Thanks,
    Tony

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Guido,

Thanks for your help.

I started the "DocumentDB Emulator Setup" from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/documentdb/documentdb-nosql-local-emulator

I did not start it with System-user.

I login as Tony on my system.

Thanks,
    Tony

Friday, April 21, 2017 10:00 AM
  • Hi Carneno,

thanks for posting here.

>>I am not trying to install or deploy anything.  I'm just trying to figure out which of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, if any, I can remove from my system.

Maybe I didn't explain clearly. Which Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables could be removed is depends on if there has any process use it.

To determine which feature your application depends on is to use Dependency Walker (depends.exe) to open the application. You can download the tool from the Dependency Walker web site.

By using depends.exe, you can examine a list of DLLs that are linked to the application at load time, and a list of its delay-loaded DLLs. If you want to get a complete list of DLLs that are dynamically loaded at run time, you can use the profiling feature in depends.exe to test the application until you're sure that all code paths have been exercised. When you end the profiling session, depends.exe shows which DLLs were dynamically loaded during run time.

Hope this could be help of you.

Best Regards,
    Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Baron Bi Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:05 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Hello Sera.

Thanks for your help.

To determine which feature your application depends on is to use Dependency Walker (depends.exe) to open the application.

I am confused by your post.  What application do I open in Dependency Walker?

Thanks,
    Tony

Monday, April 24, 2017 11:48 AM
  • Hello Sera.

Thanks for your help.

To determine which feature your application depends on is to use Dependency Walker (depends.exe) to open the application.

I am confused by your post.  What application do I open in Dependency Walker?

Thanks,
    Tony

Hi Carneno,

Had answerd you in very first post that it depend on the application installed on your machine . One thing you can try delete all the redistributed from your machine . Install the new software and in case if any of your existing software or new software complain about redistributed package . The installed corresponding redistributed on your machine.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:34 AM
  • >>I am confused by your post.  What application do I open in Dependency Walker?

All the applications that you want to use.

I know this sounds difficult. But this maybe the best way you need.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:38 AM