none
Checking in files while debugging RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to find out what the reason is that you can not check in files from within visual studio (pending changes window) 
    when you are debugging. The commit button gets grayed out and turns back on when you stop debugging. (using SVN a the moment)

For me this is undesirable behaviour since it breaks up my workflow. 
    After I've completed a feature and exploritory testing reveals no problems, I am going to check in my changes and then move on to picking up a new issue from the backlog. For me to check in I have to:
    - close my debugging session
    - check in my files
    - start my debugging session again to "locate/verify" the next issue I am going to be working on. 

When you have a large solution that is slow to get up and running this really breaks your workflow.

Other tooling like sourcetree is able to checkin while debugging so I'm not clear why this restriction is built into VS.
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Sjors,

Thank you for post in MSDN forum.

May I ask which did you use in VS, whether TFS or GIT?

If my understanding is correctly, you want to check in pending changes when debugging.

To be honest, based on my test whether use TFS or GIT, i can’t modify the code when debugging and I could not find any official statement support check in pending changes when debugging, so I think vs does not support this feature. Thanks for your understanding.

Besides, what does “using SVN at the moment” mean ?

As far as I know, SVN is another source depot, not understand your intentions.

Meanwhile, if you want to know more details between GIT and TFS, please have a look at it:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/tfvc/comparison-git-tfvc

Hope it could help you.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not using Git or TFS (but have used it in the past).

I am currently using SVN (subversion) with the visual studio plugin AnkhSVN for sourcecontrol.

I'm not looking to find a solution to editing files while debugging, I understand that they are locked. I just want to check them into sourcecontrol while debugging. And since that does not require changing these files I am frustrated that I can't check them in while debugging.

I am just wondering WHY this feature it is not supported. (is there a technical reason of some sorts?)

If there is no reason then maybe it could become a feature request for the VS team.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi Sjors,

According your description, your problem is caused by the AnkhSVN plugin.

For safety concerns, this is the expected behavior of AnkhSVN.

Please refer to this similar issue on AnkhSVN's own forum.

https://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=718 

Friday, July 21, 2017 5:34 AM