Unable to Login in Visual Studio 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to clone my repo in VSTS in VS2017.  Here is what I know:

1. I am running VS Enterprise 2017
    2. Under "help-->Register product" I have logged in to my "personal account" using my username/password connected to my MSDN subscription
    3. Under "help-->Register product" I have logged in under "all accounts" using the same username/password as above
    4. I can connect to the VSTS account https://<mycompany>.visualstudio.com
    5. When I clone the repo it asks me to login again for some reason
    6. When I enter the same username again it takes me to my "organization's sign-in page" which fails with "An error occured", "Contact you administrator for more information", "Relying party: Microsoft Office 365 identity Platrom" with a few other details.
    7. I get the following error in the output pane  
      "Error encountered while cloning the remote repository: Git failed with a fatal error."
      "fatal: could not read Username for 'https://<mycompany>.visualstudio.com/': terminal prompts disabled"
    8. It works in VS2015 on the same PC (Windows 7)
    9. It works  in VS2017 on my home PC (Windows 10)

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Nayana A S Friday, March 24, 2017 8:49 AM More related to VS
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:27 AM

Answers

• I managed to get it working.  

I created a new project in VSTS and unexpectedly a info box under "Get started with your new project - Clone to your computer" said:

"Having problems authenticating in Git? Be sure to get the latest version of Git for Windows or our plugins for IntelliJ, Eclipse, Android Studio or Windows command line."

And there you go, I installed the latest version of Git for Windows it just started working. I did change the setup for "Choosing HTTPS transport backend" from "Use the OpenSSL library" to "Use the native Windows Secure Channel library" so not sure if that fixed it or the reinstall.

Ah, just noticed that the same info box comes up if you clone down a repo from VSTS. Nice one. Because I was pushing from VS I didn't originally see it.

• Marked as answer by Ryarco Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:15 AM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:15 AM

All replies

• The query posted by you has not reached the right forum. To assist best on your query, I am moving the query to the right forum. 

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Hi Ryarco,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>It works  in VS2017 on my home PC (Windows 10)

Did you install the same VS 2017 version on your work and personal PC?

It looks like this issue only occurs in the VS 2017 on your work computer, please make sure the VS 2017 already installed all VS 2017 updates, you can go to Tools-Extensions and Updates-Updates to check this and your OS is Win7 and confirm all pending patches are installed.

Please have a try with the following:

1. Re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator, click the icon beside 'Modify' and 'Launch' and select 'Repair' to repair VS 2017.

2. Go to the VS 2017 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx\Common7\IDE and run the following commands. After each command, reopen VS to check this issue.

• devenv /resetuserdata: clear the old user data
    • devenv /safemode: run the VS as safe, if it works fine that means the installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.
    • devenv /setup

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:07 AM
  • I managed to get it working.  

I created a new project in VSTS and unexpectedly a info box under "Get started with your new project - Clone to your computer" said:

"Having problems authenticating in Git? Be sure to get the latest version of Git for Windows or our plugins for IntelliJ, Eclipse, Android Studio or Windows command line."

And there you go, I installed the latest version of Git for Windows it just started working. I did change the setup for "Choosing HTTPS transport backend" from "Use the OpenSSL library" to "Use the native Windows Secure Channel library" so not sure if that fixed it or the reinstall.

Ah, just noticed that the same info box comes up if you clone down a repo from VSTS. Nice one. Because I was pushing from VS I didn't originally see it.

• Marked as answer by Ryarco Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:15 AM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:15 AM
  • Hi Ryarco,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing, it will help other community members who meet the same issue to know this useful workaround.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:24 AM