none
Build Error "...exited with code 3" RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to visual studio, and i am trying to recompile an existing dll.

I got the source from github, and have resolved several dependencies as far as i can see.

But the build seems to be trying to make a .bat file?

Error The command ""C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\copyMulti.bat"" exited with code 3.

what could be going on with my project that is causing this error?

Any help, thanks.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Code Sapient,

Sorry for bothering you.

The command seems to be a build event for your project. And the bat command should be the path in author's machine. We recommend you could right-click this project -> click Properties -> select Build Events, then delete this command.

Hope it could help you, and look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Code Sapient Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:55 AM

All replies

• This is the Output info:

1>  Multibrush -> D:\C# Projects\Multibrush.dll
    1>  The system cannot find the path specified.
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5178,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\copyMulti.bat"" exited with code 3.
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:58 PM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The error"exit with code 3" means that the system cannot find the specified path. Did you locate the path to check whether the copyMulti.bat exists. l have three points:

1.The author may use the system variable such as %userprofile% to store the generated bat file, which involves the system disk is required to access the administrator's permission. So if you want to access it in vs, remember to run VS as administrator by right-click VS icon and choose Run as Administrator.

2. How did you build project? Did you build only a project not a solution? If there is more than one project under the current solution, and the bat file is generated by one of the projects and you did not build it, so when you build another project, the bat file is not generated and the path cannot be found. 

> >Try to build a solution not a project.

3. Please check out the github page where you got the code to see what the author's requirements are in the "How to Build" section and follow his instructions for each step.

> >If this does not help you, please share the link of the github and tell us the steps to reproduce the issue.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Well, I am a little embarrassed. The dll managed to compile. It just went to a dir I overlooked in the settings step part of recompiling - as one would do if one were flash hot with VS.

Still jumping around the ide in other similar resurrection projects i've engaged in.

So my methodology is clunky - who'd ever know?

Thanks for replying! I'll be bok.

Friday, October 11, 2019 11:25 AM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

3. Please check out the github page where you got the code to see what the author's requirements are in the "How to Build" section and follow his instructions for each step.

> >If this does not help you, please share the link of the github and tell us the steps to reproduce the issue.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Perry

The old dll is 'old' and perhaps the conventions for GitHub back then (2014) weren't as splendid as having a "how to build" section.
    Friday, October 11, 2019 11:31 AM
  • Hi Code,

The error l think you have found since your description. You seem to have ignored the directory into which the DLL entered and not configured the path in Settings.

If you have any other issue about it, please share the github link and l will reproduce it in my side to support you.

If you have solved it, please remember to mark it as answer so that it will help other community members search similar issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Perry

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi Code Sapient,

Sorry for bothering you.

The command seems to be a build event for your project. And the bat command should be the path in author's machine. We recommend you could right-click this project -> click Properties -> select Build Events, then delete this command.

Hope it could help you, and look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Dylan

• Marked as answer by Code Sapient Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:55 AM
  • A perfect solution to a cleaner solution!

THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO BE DIFFERENT, BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO BE YOURSELF.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:39 AM