none
Visual Studio Installation Directory RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install VSS 2012 Professional Edition On my Windows 8 .

Unfortunately I have very less space on my C: drive and would want to install VSS on my E: drive.

But the Setup Wont let me configure or change the default Location

I have even tried  {vs_professional.exe /custominstallpath "E:\vss"} 

Any Ideas.

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• Well the answer is NO. That's why I'm also feeling VSS so bad. Actually executables ARE copied to the custom directory we appoint, but wait...they are NOT so massive in size that makes me mad. The HELL comes from components of .Net runtime, SQL database and those F**King indispensible tools I swear I would never touch in my life. They are ALL DUMPED to C:\... BY DEFAULT and we can't even manage to make a choice!

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes this scenario is by design right now. As far as I know, the only option is to uncheck those optional packages such as MFC. This will save about 3.0G disk space on your C: drive. But this solution is not solid.

Could you please send your feedback to this site:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 15, 2013 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

I have observed the same on Windows 8 SSD hard drive. It works well if the hard drive is normal SATA. Do you use SSD ?

I have reported the issue on Microsoft connect website: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/786461/vs-2012-installer-could-not-select-installation-directory-on-ssd

Let's follow up this report, and product team will evaluate it.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Correct my statements on last reply. It turns out SSD is not a problem.

Another case is: if you have VS 2012 components installed, say installed to C:\, then you'll not be able to change the directory. This is because different Visual Studio editions, like (professional, premium) share common components, install them to different location will break VS.  Please feel free to let me know if this is your case.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Hey , Actually I am waiting for my New Laptop ... I wouldn let this bitch win over my aspirations to learn the product ....

On a serious note ,

1. I got no Visual Studio components installed.

2. I got Microsoft visual C++ Redistributables( Versions 2008 , 2010 X86,X64) installed on my C:, don't know if that's the reason.

Anyway looks that its a known issue.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Visual C++ redistribute components of V2008, V2010 don't matter in this case. While you wait for new laptop, if you wants to get this issue investigated, please follow this blog to collect Visual Studio installation log. Then share it on Skydrive: http://skydrive.com

thanks.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:44 AM