Visual Basic 6.0 -> Visual Basic 2005 Express RRS feed

• Question

• Is it true that I have to buy Visual Basic 6.0 when I got an old project from someone that I want to open (and upgrade) to the Visual Basic 2005 Express edition?

Exact error message:
    Upgrade failed: Exception occured: The referenced components
    Adodc
    MMControl
    ProgressBar
    CommonDialog
    StatusBar
    ImageList
     are missing design time licenses.
    I am a first time user by the way.

[Source: PRB: Errors when you use Visual Basic 6.0 controls in Visual Studio.NET]
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:18 PM

Answers

• Yes. To run the converter, VB.NET needs to open the old version controls in design mode, which means you need the old VB on the machine.

Hint.....  'most' VB6 programs will open in VB5 with usually just an error message referring to a keyword that VB6 added automatically. Deleting those from the .vbp program using notepad will allow VB5 to open the VB6 project - and you can get a copy of VB5 on eBay for next to nothing.

Richard
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:33 PM

All replies

• Yes. To run the converter, VB.NET needs to open the old version controls in design mode, which means you need the old VB on the machine.

Hint.....  'most' VB6 programs will open in VB5 with usually just an error message referring to a keyword that VB6 added automatically. Deleting those from the .vbp program using notepad will allow VB5 to open the VB6 project - and you can get a copy of VB5 on eBay for next to nothing.

Richard
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:33 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot! Thanks for the tip.

Andy
    Thursday, May 19, 2005 10:16 AM